Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for VISA Black Replacement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for VISA Black Replacement

Hey,

I found this forum trying to find some decent information on a new credit card to replace the VISA Black in my wallet. I am just sort of sick of the cache of the card without anything to back it up, unlike AMEX. I am interested in exclusivity and rewards but most importantly incredible customer service. You all seem totally on top of this so I figured I would throw it out there.

Credit scores are great, plenty of assets, plenty of high limit cards, etc. Just don't know which direction to turn. Thoughts?

Currently have AMEX Platinum, Continental OnePass Plus MasterCard and SPG AMEX (which I don't really use).

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement

You're already carrying the better version of the Visa Black card, the Amex Platinum card. What is it you're trying to replace?

If you want a good travel rewards card, look at Chase Sapphire Preferred. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 24
rtw
Established Contributor

I agree with Walt_K. I'm really enjoying the CSP. Booked a rewards ticket a couple of months ago with no hassle or added fees.

Starting Score: EX: 575 (PSECU 5/2/12) TU: 582 (3/6/12) EQ: 664 (4/27/12)
Current Score: EX: 699 (PSECU 06/04/14) 702 (my FICO 08/05/14) TU: 699 (08/01/14) EQ: 675 (07/08/14)
Goal Score: 720
20K PSECU 7/12 | 12K USAA 9/12 | 11K BOA 1-2-3 9/12 | 9K Citi HHonors 9/12 | 8.5K Citi AAdvantage 5/08 | 5K Chase Sapphire Pref. 9/12 | 3.8K Barclays USAir 7/12 | 6K Walmart Dis. 11/12 | 1K Amex SPG 11/12 | 2K Amex BCP 1/13
Message 3 of 24
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I third the CSP, and you can get pretty high limits with it as well as AWESOME customer service...

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 4 of 24
djrez4
Established Contributor

Well, it sounds like we get to play with some pretty good credit here, so let's dive a little deeper:

What sort of rewards do you want?  If you're not that into hotel rewards (from your statement about not using the SPG) that narrows things down significantly.  The Sapphire Preferred comes with Ultimate rewards points, which are nice, and offers good transfers.  You can also get those benefits with an Ink Bold or Ink Plus, which currently offer an extra 10,000 signup points over the Sapphire.  The Ink cards have slightly different bonus point categories - Office supplies, gas, and hotels instead of restaurants and travel.  The Sapphire is probably a better daily card, but the Inks can earn points very quickly.  All come with great service (most of the time).

If you're not as concerned about signup bonuses and categories but fly United post-merger, the United Club card offers some great perks for travelers.  Two free bags for everyone on your itinerary, access to the United Club (which you miss with the Platinum), primary CDW on rental cars, 1.5 miles per dollar, and all of the travel perks/insurance of the Sapphire.  There are also some offers that waive the first year, $395 fee on the card.

But, consider placing the SPG in a more prominent spot in your wallet.  SPG rewards are some of the most valuable, though hardest to earn.  They offer a 5,000 point bonus for transfers of 20,000 points to an airline.  That's a pretty good deal if you don't want to be tied down to a specific airline.

Message 5 of 24
Dustink
Valued Contributor

If you spend over $100k per year on travel, the JP Morgan Palladium would be a great fit.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/jp-morgan-palladium-card.aspx

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 6 of 24
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

If you spend over $100k per year on travel, the JP Morgan Palladium would be a great fit.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/jp-morgan-palladium-card.aspx

And it definitly has the prestige factor, well above that of the Black card

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 7 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey,

I found this forum trying to find some decent information on a new credit card to replace the VISA Black in my wallet. I am just sort of sick of the cache of the card without anything to back it up, unlike AMEX. I am interested in exclusivity and rewards but most importantly incredible customer service. You all seem totally on top of this so I figured I would throw it out there.

Credit scores are great, plenty of assets, plenty of high limit cards, etc. Just don't know which direction to turn. Thoughts?

Currently have AMEX Platinum, Continental OnePass Plus MasterCard and SPG AMEX (which I don't really use).

Thanks for your help.

Anything above First Premier should be a great replacement option to the Barclay "Black Card" that can open with CL's as low as $500 and has been published to this happening pretty regularly. haha

Message 8 of 24
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey,

Thanks for your help.

Anything above First Premier should be a great replacement option to the Barclay "Black Card" that can open with CL's as low as $500 and has been published to this happening pretty regularly. haha

And is FP really that bad!!

Message 9 of 24
Bobert22
Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey,

Thanks for your help.

I always thought the Black Card was extremely difficult to get? are people really applying and getting $500CLs? 

Capital One 2006--$5,000 ||| AMEX Macy's 2008--$2,300 ||| Kohl's 2009-- $1,000 ||| JCP 2010-- $1,000 ||| Walmart Discover 2010-- $5,000 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,600 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,500 ||| Chase Freedom 2012--$7,500 ||| Discover IT 2013 -- $4,000
||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 2013 -- $10,000

SCORES: EQ FICO: 787, EX FAKO: 801, TU FICO: 790 (Lender Pull)
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.