cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for VISA Black Replacement

Valued Contributor

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement


Bobert22 wrote:

Creditaddict wrote:

Lobster1 wrote:

Hey,

 

I found this forum trying to find some decent information on a new credit card to replace the VISA Black in my wallet. I am just sort of sick of the cache of the card without anything to back it up, unlike AMEX. I am interested in exclusivity and rewards but most importantly incredible customer service. You all seem totally on top of this so I figured I would throw it out there.

 

Credit scores are great, plenty of assets, plenty of high limit cards, etc. Just don't know which direction to turn. Thoughts?

 

Currently have AMEX Platinum, Continental OnePass Plus MasterCard and SPG AMEX (which I don't really use).

 

Thanks for your help.


Anything above First Premier should be a great replacement option to the Barclay "Black Card" that can open with CL's as low as $500 and has been published to this happening pretty regularly. haha


I always thought the Black Card was extremely difficult to get? are people really applying and getting $500CLs? 


It's seriously not even a Visa Signature card lol

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 11 of 24
Valued Contributor

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement


ryanbush wrote:

Bobert22 wrote:

Creditaddict wrote:

Lobster1 wrote:

Hey,

 

I found this forum trying to find some decent information on a new credit card to replace the VISA Black in my wallet. I am just sort of sick of the cache of the card without anything to back it up, unlike AMEX. I am interested in exclusivity and rewards but most importantly incredible customer service. You all seem totally on top of this so I figured I would throw it out there.

 

Credit scores are great, plenty of assets, plenty of high limit cards, etc. Just don't know which direction to turn. Thoughts?

 

Currently have AMEX Platinum, Continental OnePass Plus MasterCard and SPG AMEX (which I don't really use).

 

Thanks for your help.


Anything above First Premier should be a great replacement option to the Barclay "Black Card" that can open with CL's as low as $500 and has been published to this happening pretty regularly. haha


I always thought the Black Card was extremely difficult to get? are people really applying and getting $500CLs? 


It's seriously not even a Visa Signature card lol


+1. That card is a joke, played upon wanna-be bigshots and try-hards who simply don't know any better.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 12 of 24
Valued Contributor

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement


CreditScholar wrote:

ryanbush wrote:

Bobert22 wrote:

Creditaddict wrote:

Lobster1 wrote:

Hey,

 

I found this forum trying to find some decent information on a new credit card to replace the VISA Black in my wallet. I am just sort of sick of the cache of the card without anything to back it up, unlike AMEX. I am interested in exclusivity and rewards but most importantly incredible customer service. You all seem totally on top of this so I figured I would throw it out there.

 

Credit scores are great, plenty of assets, plenty of high limit cards, etc. Just don't know which direction to turn. Thoughts?

 

Currently have AMEX Platinum, Continental OnePass Plus MasterCard and SPG AMEX (which I don't really use).

 

Thanks for your help.


Anything above First Premier should be a great replacement option to the Barclay "Black Card" that can open with CL's as low as $500 and has been published to this happening pretty regularly. haha


I always thought the Black Card was extremely difficult to get? are people really applying and getting $500CLs? 


It's seriously not even a Visa Signature card lol


+1. That card is a joke, played upon wanna-be bigshots and try-hards who simply don't know any better.


Yeah +100 a high AF and is not on the same level as the AMEX Plat or CSP. There are a lot of cards out there that are better than the Barclay Black Card and has no AF. If you want a black card go with the CITI Diamond Preferred 


Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 13 of 24
Valued Contributor

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement

If you actually travel a good deal, the Black Card isn't as horrible as many make it out to be...the Priority Pass access (a perk that was upped from limited to unlimited visits recently) is typically $399 so that would shave the AF down to $96 of unclaimed benefits.  That being said, most hotel and airline cobranded cards and even the Chase United MP Club Card (AF=$395 whereas a United Club membership would cost up to $550 depending on your status) come with benefits that outweigh the AF.    

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 14 of 24
New Member

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement

Thanks for the insight everyone, you can definitely lump me into the "wanna-be bigshot who didn't know any better" when it came to the Black card in the first place.

 

The reason I got it in the first place was because I wanted the exclusivity as I have found that it leads to better perks and customer service. I am not necessarily interested in needing to pull a "black card" out of my wallet to show anyone. Fool me once, Barclays!!

 

I guess I didn't really get into how I use a card and what I like to get back. I don't travel much for work so I don't rack up a lot of flights to take advantage of true milage programs. I do, however, spend about $200,00/year, give or take, on my Black card currently as I use it as my primary card right now so being able to maximize the return on those dollars would be my primary concern. When it comes to the rewards I usually use them for personal travel or gifts but would be open to just getting cash I guess (never done that before). It is more about maximizing the return to me than where it goes.

 

One thing I love about the AMEX Platinum and the Priority Pass that came with the VISA is that I was almost completely covered on club access. I love being able to walk into an airport and know I can just walk into a club. Unfortunately I now have no access to United which I seem to run into a lot. Any ideas that might give me full coverage on airport lounges, especially since I will be giving up the priority pass with the VISA?

 

So far you guys have come back with Chase Saphire Preferred and the Palladium Card (what is the deal with this?). Again, thanks for helping a sucker out in fixing the error of his ways. Much appreciated.

Message 15 of 24
Valued Contributor

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement

United pretty much put all their eggs in one basket with Chase so you're limited to either the MileagePlus Club Visa which gives you unlimited access to United Club or MileagePlus Explorer which gives you two passes a year.  Not sure if any other cards offer United Club access (Maybe Palladium?) as the US Airways Club and Star Alliance Gold members have access to United Clubs too but I don't think they have a card that'll make you a member.    

 

 

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 16 of 24
Valued Contributor

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement


Lobster1 wrote:

Thanks for the insight everyone, you can definitely lump me into the "wanna-be bigshot who didn't know any better" when it came to the Black card in the first place.

 

The reason I got it in the first place was because I wanted the exclusivity as I have found that it leads to better perks and customer service. I am not necessarily interested in needing to pull a "black card" out of my wallet to show anyone. Fool me once, Barclays!!

 

I guess I didn't really get into how I use a card and what I like to get back. I don't travel much for work so I don't rack up a lot of flights to take advantage of true milage programs. I do, however, spend about $200,00/year, give or take, on my Black card currently as I use it as my primary card right now so being able to maximize the return on those dollars would be my primary concern. When it comes to the rewards I usually use them for personal travel or gifts but would be open to just getting cash I guess (never done that before). It is more about maximizing the return to me than where it goes.

 

One thing I love about the AMEX Platinum and the Priority Pass that came with the VISA is that I was almost completely covered on club access. I love being able to walk into an airport and know I can just walk into a club. Unfortunately I now have no access to United which I seem to run into a lot. Any ideas that might give me full coverage on airport lounges, especially since I will be giving up the priority pass with the VISA?

 

So far you guys have come back with Chase Saphire Preferred and the Palladium Card (what is the deal with this?). Again, thanks for helping a sucker out in fixing the error of his ways. Much appreciated.


Search on these forums, or google palladium card and look at some of the other things people are saying about it... it seems like that would be the perfect card for your high spending as they truely taylor the benefits to each individual user.

 

only issue is it's hit or miss wether you can get that card without a relationship with Chase private banking, not sure who you do you're banking with.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 17 of 24
Established Contributor

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement

I would recommend the Orchard Bank gold card.  It's a GOLD card, dang it! :-P  j/k


Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 24
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement

I'm glad you had the sense to realize that the Barclays black card is kind of a scam. If you want a black CC to flash every now and then, get the Citi Diamond Preferred. It doesn't have any rewards, but it also doesn't have an annual fee. Plus, it looks like a super premium/Centurion type card; I've definitely caught my date staring once or twice when I've used it to pay for dinner.

As for racking up rewards, your SPG should be getting a bigger chunk of your spending. As others have said, the CSP is probably a good bet, too.

Starting Score: 617 (EQ 6/10/12)
Current Score (8/28/13): EQ: 691 EX: 706 TU: 700
Goal Score: 700

Discover it $4,500 (02/2001); Amex PRG (Backdated to 01/2006); Amex ZYNC (Backdated to 07/2006); Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa $5,500 (12/2011); Citi Diamond Preferred MC $2,000 (07/2012); B of A Cash Rewards Visa Signature $5,000 (02/2013)

Message 19 of 24
Established Contributor

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement


Lobster1 wrote:

 

 

One thing I love about the AMEX Platinum and the Priority Pass that came with the VISA is that I was almost completely covered on club access. I love being able to walk into an airport and know I can just walk into a club. Unfortunately I now have no access to United which I seem to run into a lot. Any ideas that might give me full coverage on airport lounges, especially since I will be giving up the priority pass with the VISA?


See my post about the United Club Visa.  It's the only card that gives you United Club access, and it comes with some good benefits.  With $200k a year in spending, you'll have yourself 300k miles.  Two round-trip business/first tickets to anywhere or 12 domestic coach tickets.

Message 20 of 24