Reply
New Member
Lobster1
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎01-28-2013
0

Looking for VISA Black Replacement

Hey,

 

I found this forum trying to find some decent information on a new credit card to replace the VISA Black in my wallet. I am just sort of sick of the cache of the card without anything to back it up, unlike AMEX. I am interested in exclusivity and rewards but most importantly incredible customer service. You all seem totally on top of this so I figured I would throw it out there.

 

Credit scores are great, plenty of assets, plenty of high limit cards, etc. Just don't know which direction to turn. Thoughts?

 

Currently have AMEX Platinum, Continental OnePass Plus MasterCard and SPG AMEX (which I don't really use).

 

Thanks for your help.

Senior Contributor
Walt_K
Posts: 3,065
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement

You're already carrying the better version of the Visa Black card, the Amex Platinum card. What is it you're trying to replace?

 

If you want a good travel rewards card, look at Chase Sapphire Preferred. 


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
rtw
Posts: 797
Registered: ‎05-01-2012
0

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement

I agree with Walt_K. I'm really enjoying the CSP. Booked a rewards ticket a couple of months ago with no hassle or added fees.


Starting Score: EX: 575 (PSECU 5/2/12) TU: 582 (3/6/12) EQ: 664 (4/27/12)
Current Score: EX: 699 (PSECU 06/04/14) 702 (my FICO 08/05/14) TU: 699 (08/01/14) EQ: 675 (07/08/14)
Goal Score: 720
20K PSECU 7/12 | 12K USAA 9/12 | 11K BOA 1-2-3 9/12 | 9K Citi HHonors 9/12 | 8.5K Citi AAdvantage 5/08 | 5K Chase Sapphire Pref. 9/12 | 3.8K Barclays USAir 7/12 | 6K Walmart Dis. 11/12 | 1K Amex SPG 11/12 | 2K Amex BCP 1/13
Valued Contributor
ryanbush
Posts: 1,295
Registered: ‎08-19-2012
0

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement

I third the CSP, and you can get pretty high limits with it as well as AWESOME customer service...

 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Established Contributor
djrez4
Posts: 504
Registered: ‎08-28-2012
0

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement

Well, it sounds like we get to play with some pretty good credit here, so let's dive a little deeper:

 

What sort of rewards do you want?  If you're not that into hotel rewards (from your statement about not using the SPG) that narrows things down significantly.  The Sapphire Preferred comes with Ultimate rewards points, which are nice, and offers good transfers.  You can also get those benefits with an Ink Bold or Ink Plus, which currently offer an extra 10,000 signup points over the Sapphire.  The Ink cards have slightly different bonus point categories - Office supplies, gas, and hotels instead of restaurants and travel.  The Sapphire is probably a better daily card, but the Inks can earn points very quickly.  All come with great service (most of the time).

 

If you're not as concerned about signup bonuses and categories but fly United post-merger, the United Club card offers some great perks for travelers.  Two free bags for everyone on your itinerary, access to the United Club (which you miss with the Platinum), primary CDW on rental cars, 1.5 miles per dollar, and all of the travel perks/insurance of the Sapphire.  There are also some offers that waive the first year, $395 fee on the card.

 

But, consider placing the SPG in a more prominent spot in your wallet.  SPG rewards are some of the most valuable, though hardest to earn.  They offer a 5,000 point bonus for transfers of 20,000 points to an airline.  That's a pretty good deal if you don't want to be tied down to a specific airline.

Valued Contributor
Dustink
Posts: 2,980
Registered: ‎10-02-2012
0

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement

If you spend over $100k per year on travel, the JP Morgan Palladium would be a great fit.

 

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/jp-morgan-palladium-card.aspx

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:21    


     $14k          $8.5K          $7.5k          $7.5k         $6.5k             $6k             $5k            $5k             $5k              $5k           NPSL       @ 0%
Valued Contributor
ryanbush
Posts: 1,295
Registered: ‎08-19-2012
0

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement


Dustink wrote:

If you spend over $100k per year on travel, the JP Morgan Palladium would be a great fit.

 

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/jp-morgan-palladium-card.aspx


And it definitly has the prestige factor, well above that of the Black card

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Mega Contributor
Creditaddict
Posts: 19,525
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement


Lobster1 wrote:

Hey,

 

I found this forum trying to find some decent information on a new credit card to replace the VISA Black in my wallet. I am just sort of sick of the cache of the card without anything to back it up, unlike AMEX. I am interested in exclusivity and rewards but most importantly incredible customer service. You all seem totally on top of this so I figured I would throw it out there.

 

Credit scores are great, plenty of assets, plenty of high limit cards, etc. Just don't know which direction to turn. Thoughts?

 

Currently have AMEX Platinum, Continental OnePass Plus MasterCard and SPG AMEX (which I don't really use).

 

Thanks for your help.


Anything above First Premier should be a great replacement option to the Barclay "Black Card" that can open with CL's as low as $500 and has been published to this happening pretty regularly. haha

Fico Scores: EQ 657 Cabelas, TU 662 Walmart, EX 699 Wells (07-27-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Express $300
Over 40 Cards in between :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor
bs6054
Posts: 1,673
Registered: ‎11-11-2012
0

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement


Creditaddict wrote:

Lobster1 wrote:

Hey,

 

I found this forum trying to find some decent information on a new credit card to replace the VISA Black in my wallet. I am just sort of sick of the cache of the card without anything to back it up, unlike AMEX. I am interested in exclusivity and rewards but most importantly incredible customer service. You all seem totally on top of this so I figured I would throw it out there.

 

Credit scores are great, plenty of assets, plenty of high limit cards, etc. Just don't know which direction to turn. Thoughts?

 

Currently have AMEX Platinum, Continental OnePass Plus MasterCard and SPG AMEX (which I don't really use).

 

Thanks for your help.


Anything above First Premier should be a great replacement option to the Barclay "Black Card" that can open with CL's as low as $500 and has been published to this happening pretty regularly. haha


And is FP really that bad!!

Contributor
Bobert22
Posts: 236
Registered: ‎01-20-2013
0

Re: Looking for VISA Black Replacement


Creditaddict wrote:

Lobster1 wrote:

Hey,

 

I found this forum trying to find some decent information on a new credit card to replace the VISA Black in my wallet. I am just sort of sick of the cache of the card without anything to back it up, unlike AMEX. I am interested in exclusivity and rewards but most importantly incredible customer service. You all seem totally on top of this so I figured I would throw it out there.

 

Credit scores are great, plenty of assets, plenty of high limit cards, etc. Just don't know which direction to turn. Thoughts?

 

Currently have AMEX Platinum, Continental OnePass Plus MasterCard and SPG AMEX (which I don't really use).

 

Thanks for your help.


Anything above First Premier should be a great replacement option to the Barclay "Black Card" that can open with CL's as low as $500 and has been published to this happening pretty regularly. haha


I always thought the Black Card was extremely difficult to get? are people really applying and getting $500CLs? 

Capital One 2006--$5,000 ||| AMEX Macy's 2008--$2,300 ||| Kohl's 2009-- $1,000 ||| JCP 2010-- $1,000 ||| Walmart Discover 2010-- $5,000 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,600 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,500 ||| Chase Freedom 2012--$7,500 ||| Discover IT 2013 -- $4,000
||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 2013 -- $10,000

SCORES: EQ FICO: 787, EX FAKO: 801, TU FICO: 790 (Lender Pull)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+