Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a 0% balance transfer card and need advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for a 0% balance transfer card and need advice

May i ask what your SL with Amex was, and if you've already recieved the 61 & 181 day CLI? That may be an option if you haven't done it yet.

You could then move Discover's balance over to Amex. Then in a few months, after a CLI, BT back to Discover.  Or you could use a HP for a CLI, perhaps with Chase, instead of on a new account. 

If your goal is to avoid "fees" associated with BT's, then I suggest you look into a CU. Most of them have no fees whatsover, just the normal low APR. 

Message 11 of 16
fliphusker
Contributor

Transferring a balance to my Disc or AMEX is not an option due to the fees involved. A CU is not an option as not interested in paying any APR even for a short time. So my only option is one of my cards opening up free transfer and at least another 12 months 0% APR. This IMO is not going to happen. If I get rejected by a BT card, I have the money to pay my 2 cards off. So not concerned. Just wanting to work with their money for another year to 21 months is all. 

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are hussling for a B/t card when you actually can pay it off NOW.

If you could, you should pay it off now. dont take the hassle of carrying a balance.

Always remember, TIME can be your best friend or your worst NIGHTMARE.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the Money is invested, I guess you have to compare the tradeoff of that revenue versus the fees involved. But honestly, 3% of $4K isn't that much compared to the normal APR. So I'm guessing the investment income is less than $120.

If you're not worried about the HP, just app for the BoA card. Worst case scenario should be $3-5K based on your total credit line. 

Transfer most of the balance(what you can) and pay off the rest, basically split the differnce. Allowing you to still keep some of it invested.

Message 14 of 16
fliphusker
Contributor

I am willing to keep rolling the dice on the investment vs the BT fee. I am pulling around 8% after taxes, not great, but nothing to complain about for being short term. And ya, I know the markets can turn on a whim, but OK rolling the dice on a smallish sum. 

I do not like wasting HP as done too much of that in the past. I am always on the hunt for better rewards cards and still searching for a better grocery card as only have 6 months at 5%. I play the rewards game that is how I ended up with AMEX as they gave me $300 for signing up. 

So I was just poking around to see maybe what others found with BT cards and the CL they received.

Appreciate the feedback. 

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is said 'investment' so surefire that you'd be happy to take a margin on it (remember the APR rate for margin is lower than 8%, let alone whatever pre-tax number that would be)?

If not, then your BT move can be more risky than you know.

btw, this kind of dice rolling is hardly a good game IMHO, might as well buy the lott which has a MUCH larger upside and ZERO interest foreverSmiley Happy

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.