cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a CC with either 0% introductory rate or 0% balance transfer for my mom--UPDATE

tag
kroberts67
Established Contributor

Re: Looking for a CC with either 0% introductory rate or 0% balance transfer for my mom

Does Simplicity have a BT fee?

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 11 of 20
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

Re: Looking for a CC with either 0% introductory rate or 0% balance transfer for my mom

There are plenty choices out there. Recently, I have gotten 0%  offers for 18-24months from PNC, Discover,  Barclaycard, Chase Freedom, Citibank  and Capitalone but I do have those cards so they are targeted offers. With your mom's credit score there should not be an issue in getting this card. The only suggestion I have is not to accept any offers for less than 12 months. Not worth it.

@mt2va wrote:

Since these type of cards are out of reach for me I admit I'm really not up to speed on what is out there for folks with excellent credit.  Can someone recommend a CC with preferably 0% introductory rate, but would be willing to accept 0% balance transfer for about a year or longer would be better.  This is for my mom.

FICO:  826 (not sure which bureau but she pulled it here & I would expect all 3 to be about the same)

AAOA:  Unknown (but she & my dad tend to have 1-2 cards for a long long time and they rarely add new credit)

Util:  I'm guessing under 5%  (they tend to PIF or at most may have a balance for a large purchase 1-2 months if they don't want to tap into their savings to pay for it)

Current cards:  $10K at their local CU, $10K Sears MC, & $10K FNBO

Inq:  0

Baddies:  None

The card would need to have a starting limit of at least $5K.  I'm pretty sure my mom's credit history and income can support that as she's had multiple CC in the past with up to $25k CL but chose to close them.  She isn't going to care about any type of sign up bonus or ongoing rewards.  Just looking for something at 0% for the 1 year or longer time frame to meet a short term need.

Thanks.

ETA:  Not looking for recommendations at CU etc that she would have to join first.  Looking for recommendations from major lenders.

Message 12 of 20
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

I wanted to add that the cards all comes with transfer balance fees. Most are 3% but PNC is 1%.

Message 13 of 20
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

If 12 months is long enough, then the Sallie Mae Mastercard is a good choice:

https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

You just have to pay the BT transaction fee, 3%

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 14 of 20
mt2va
Established Contributor

The preference is for as long as 0% as possible. 

Update:  My mom called Citi to clarify a couple things about the 0% intro for purchases/balance transfers.  She went ahead & apped by phone & said they would let her know if she was approved.  Are phone apps not instant approval?  I'm just surprised as I would have thought she would get instant approval for whatever she wanted. 

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 15 of 20
mt2va
Established Contributor

Last update.  She was approved for $7k but I noticed the card is not a Visa Signature card.  I guess that isn't automatic?  I've never had a signature card so don't really understand how all that works.  I'm pretty sure the limit was so low because this is the only CC she has that is not a joint with my dad.  (his income is higher because he has SS + AF retirement)  In fact she just recently received the Visa Signature version on her FNBO Visa CC even though she's had the card a couple years and there was no change in her limit.  Just curious if anyone can explain how the Visa Signature part works.  It doesn't really matter for her purposes.

Message 16 of 20
rlx01
Established Contributor

Re: Looking for a CC with either 0% introductory rate or 0% balance transfer for my mom--UPDATE

You didn't say which card she applied for so we can't answer your question. Smiley Happy
Message 17 of 20
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Looking for a CC with either 0% introductory rate or 0% balance transfer for my mom--UPDATE

I just see that I am too late... my other suggestion would have been to see if she does not have great offers for BT with 0% and 1% BT fees with her scores on her  existing cards?  I get many 0% with 2% BT fees for up to 15-18 months almost every months. And my scores are much lower and I do have quite a bunch of inquiries. Just recently got 12 months 0% with 1% BT fee from Cap1. This would have been a nice alternative to a new card application IMO.

Message 18 of 20
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I think you went the right direction with Citi.  I think 18 months is the longest intro available.  I think you can get that on either Diamond Preffered or Simplicity and maybe others.

Message 19 of 20
mt2va
Established Contributor

She got the Citi Simplicity card.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.