Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a Dept Store Card

tag
msberry28
Established Member

Looking for a Dept Store Card

I am concerned. I can't seem to find a store credit card who is Bankruptcy friendly. Someone help. All advice accepted

Experian: 561

Equifax:566

Transunion: Unk

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
VEEVEE
Regular Contributor

Re: Looking for a Dept Store Card

How old is your BK?   Not an expert but if BK is 4 years or older you may have a shot with Macy's. I  received a card from them last week and I was blacklisted because I defaulted with an affiliate company. tried my luck   after maaany denials and I got approved Cl is only a 100.00 bucks but I really like macy's.  So you never know!!! good luckSmiley Happy

Message 2 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

msberry28 wrote:

I am concerned. I can't seem to find a store credit card who is Bankruptcy friendly. Someone help. All advice accepted

Experian: 561

Equifax:566

Transunion: Unk

Welcome to the forums!

Have you checked out this thread? BK Friendly Cards Listed It's been around for a good while, but it is updated frequently. Be sure to pay more attention to more recent posts, as lenders have changed their standards over the last 12 - 18 months.

May I ask, where did you get your scores? Consumers have not been allowed to purchase their Experian FICO score since this past February. Unless you got this one from a mortgage pull or by membership in PSECU (a credit union in Pennsylvania that supplies scores), I seriously doubt it's a FICO. If you got your Equifax score directly from their website or from myFICO, it should be OK.

If you haven't already, please read Understanding Your FICO ® Score and Credit Scoring 101 (at least the first post.)

These will give you the background knowledge you need to understand what you read here on the forums.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 18
msberry28
Established Member

I received my scores from Equifax.com and Creditexpert.com for Experian

Message 4 of 18
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@msberry28 wrote:

I received my scores from Equifax.com and Creditexpert.com for Experian

I believe your score from Creditexpert.com is a "PLUS" score. This is not a FICO score and is not used by lenders. FICO scores are the scores most often used by lenders and credit card issuers, so true FICO scores will give you your best information on where you stand.

Experian markets these PLUS scores to consumers, but they don't mean a lot.

Message 5 of 18
msberry28
Established Member

Oh ok. Well how do I get accurate scores to better tell me where I stand on my credit?
Message 6 of 18
score_building
Senior Contributor

keep in mind that scores under 600 may be deemed too low in many cases (even if you id a bk friendly product)
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 18
msberry28
Established Member

Ok well thanks. I guess I got some work to do
Message 8 of 18
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@msberry28 wrote:
Oh ok. Well how do I get accurate scores to better tell me where I stand on my credit?

As has been mentioned no one has been able to pull their own Experian score since mid-February. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myfico.

I suggest you do an internet search for "myfico discount codes" to save a little money. You can also purchase your Equifax score at www.equifax.com (sounds like you already did that) and your Transunion score at www.transunioncs.com.

From a BK years ago to:
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

You can do the same thing with hard work.

Message 9 of 18
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@msberry28 wrote:

I believe the Equifax score you got from their site is a true FICO score. If I am wrong on that, someone will soon come along with a correction.

For your TransUnion FICO score, you can get that here from myFICO, or you can get it from transunioncs.com (note the 'cs').

That would give you 2 of your 3 FICO scores, and the Experian FICO isn't available for consumers to buy.

I would suggest that you do some reading here in the forums, especially on the Rebuilding Your Credit forum. You may have ways available to you to accomplish some credit repair before applying for a dept. store card.

Message Edited by LynetteM on 12-27-2009 03:28 PM
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.