Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a Visa card that will PC

tag
Jungook
Regular Contributor

Looking for a Visa card that will PC

I was going to apply for a Citi Forward for Students in December but Citi recently nerfed it so I decided meh, I'll just wait till I have enough history for a Chase Freedom.

At the same time, I'd still really like to have a Visa card right now as my Discover is not accepted everywhere and it has a measly $500 limit.

I'm wondering if I should just apply for the Forward or a Dividend from Citi and maybe PC the card to a better card later when my credit profile is thick.

Also, since the Forward has been nerfed, I no longer have a card for Amazon purchases. I was thinking I could get a US Bank Visa and then later on PC it towards a US Bank Cash+. 

Is it good to have cards from different banks/lenders, (such has having 1 from Discover, Citi, US Bank, Chase, AMEX). Sort of like diversifying my credit but does that hurt or help me?

Also does it help to expand to other payment networks such as MasterCard instead of having just Visa?

Anywho, if I were to apply for a Visa card, would it be best for me to get a Dividend, Forward, or a US Bank card? Not asking for approval chances but simply which card is more valuable and more rewarding before short term and in the long run.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Looking for a Visa card that will PC

I would not apply for a card that isn't really valuable now hoping to PC it later... although it's possible many times these days, its not always.

If you are worried about Amazon purchases after Dec. 31 with Discover I would apply for the Amazon Visa by Chase as it isn't as hard of a card to get as say the USbank Cash+!

as far as citi, I don't find the rewards to be that great on any of the cards.

How about Capital One Quicksilver? straight 1.5% would be good daily card and with limited credit you could still get it...

most of these banks have pre-qual right on there website to, so check for offers before applying (capital one, citibank, chase... however chase won't show amazon but if you get offer for another card, most likely would get approved for amazon)

Message 2 of 11
Jungook
Regular Contributor

Hm... now that you mentioned it, Citi's Thank You program really lags behind UR and MR points system.

I was thinking about the Quicksilver card as well, the 1.5% would really help on catagories that aren't in rotation. I also thought about the Chase Amazon but I don't like the idea of having a card specifically for one retailer but then again I do spend the bulk of my earnings on Amazon so it may be well worth it. 

Do you know if the Chase Amazon's points transfer somehow sort of like how the Freedom, CSP, and a Chase account sort of create a bonus trifecta?

Message 3 of 11
Apinzon2374
Regular Contributor

The Chase Amazon is a visa card so you could use it anywhere it's accepted.

Capital One Quicksilver | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday
Scores: EX: 725 | TU:742
Message 4 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jungook wrote:

Hm... now that you mentioned it, Citi's Thank You program really lags behind UR and MR points system.

I was thinking about the Quicksilver card as well, the 1.5% would really help on catagories that aren't in rotation. I also thought about the Chase Amazon but I don't like the idea of having a card specifically for one retailer but then again I do spend the bulk of my earnings on Amazon so it may be well worth it. 

Do you know if the Chase Amazon's points transfer somehow sort of like how the Freedom, CSP, and a Chase account sort of create a bonus trifecta?

Chase Amazon points don't transfer to their other programs.  They have their own travel reward program (buying tickets with points) but nothing like transferring to frequent flier programs etc.

In many ways the TY program lagged behind the others but with the nerfing of both the Forward and the Premier, it seems worse (although they did improve the Preferred, from a very low base).    While there are still some good cards (e.g. AA ones for multiple bonuses as long as that lasts, Simplicity and Prestige for niche users) most of the line-up is behind issuers like Chase.

Message 5 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Apinzon2374 wrote:
The Chase Amazon is a visa card so you could use it anywhere it's accepted.

Right, I didn't see the OPs concerns before.   It is a Visa that gives 3% at Amazon, and 2% at drug stores, eating and maybe some other things (don't use mine).

And while it is a MC rather than Visa, Sallie Mae is also great for Amazon, if you spend less than $750 per month.

Message 6 of 11
Jungook
Regular Contributor

I will look into the Sallie Mae, thank you.

What is the card that US bank gives you when you are denied the Cash+, I am not going to apply for the Cash+ as it is out of my means but I was curious as I know they reserve the right to downgrade you or whatever the term is called if you fail to meet the Cash+ requirements.

Message 7 of 11
Apinzon2374
Regular Contributor

Chase Amazon was one of the very first credit cards that I applied for but was denied. I tried to recon twice but nothing. A few months later I got approved for Freedom and Sapphire.

The one thing I've seen many people mention is getting CLI's with the Amazon card. I saw someone post saying they had it for over 5 years and still nothing. It seems like it's harder to get an auto increase on that card for some reason. Of course YMWV.

Capital One Quicksilver | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday
Scores: EX: 725 | TU:742
Message 8 of 11
Jungook
Regular Contributor

@Apinzon2374 wrote:
Chase Amazon was one of the very first credit cards that I applied for but was denied. I tried to recon twice but nothing. A few months later I got approved for Freedom and Sapphire.

The one thing I've seen many people mention is getting CLI's with the Amazon card. I think I saw someone post saying they had for over 5 years and still nothing. It seems like it's harder to get an auto increase on that card for some reason. Of course YMWV.

I have decided not to pursue the Chase Amazon card anymore. Thank you for the info!

Message 9 of 11
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Jungook wrote:

I will look into the Sallie Mae, thank you.

What is the card that US bank gives you when you are denied the Cash+, I am not going to apply for the Cash+ as it is out of my means but I was curious as I know they reserve the right to downgrade you or whatever the term is called if you fail to meet the Cash+ requirements.

Make sure you're looking at the Sallie Mae World Mastercard, and not the Sallie Mae Upromise card.

https://www.salliemae.com/landing/WorldCreditCard/

The downgrade card from a Cash+ application is called Cash Rewards. Its a 1% cash back card. You'll still need a $30,000 income and a $5000 credit card limit before you can request a PC to Cash+.

How long have you had the Discover card?

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.