cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a credit card with high initial limit!!!

tag
turnerte
Established Member

Re: Looking for a credit card with high initial limit!!!

I have yet to receive a cli on the Discover, its a little frustrating. I am thinking either the BCP or BCE amex. Would it make more sense to wait unitl after the car is paid off, or just go ahead and apply for it now? I can see it from both sides. 

Message 21 of 36
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@turnerte wrote:

I have yet to receive a cli on the Discover, its a little frustrating. I am thinking either the BCP or BCE amex. Would it make more sense to wait unitl after the car is paid off, or just go ahead and apply for it now? I can see it from both sides. 

You should only apply for BCP! with the promo applying for the BCE is a waste!!

and apply now.. the car won't matter

Message 22 of 36
turnerte
Established Member

What promo?
Message 23 of 36
enharu
Super Contributor

@turnerte wrote:

if you have yet to receive a CLI, ask for one.

They can't read minds. They don't know you want a CLI until you ask. Auto CLIs are nice, but they're often unpredictable, and somewhat infrequent for most people. 

If you spend quite a bit on groceries, go for the BCP. The BCE is only worthwhile if you rarely buy anything at grocery stores, nevertheless its still quite a nice card I suppose. 

I don't think you have to wait. That's entirely up to your personal preference.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 24 of 36
enharu
Super Contributor

@turnerte wrote:
What promo?

sign-up bonus.

go to creditcards.com

click on cardmatch.

enter your info

SSN put 111-11-1111

See if you get a targetted promo for BCP/BCE.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 25 of 36
turnerte
Established Member

I've asked for multiple cli from discover. They just never seem willing to give me one.
Message 26 of 36
enharu
Super Contributor

@turnerte wrote:
I've asked for multiple cli from discover. They just never seem willing to give me one.

u asked for a SP CLI? Or they were not willing to give you one even after a hard inquiry?

I just asked for a CLI last week with Discover. They needed to do a hard inquiry and I allowed it. They can be generous, it just really depends. They didn't / couldn't give me a SP CLI probably because I just got an auto CLI from them about a month ago.

Message 27 of 36
turnerte
Established Member

They wouldn't give me one without a hard pull and I declined that.
Message 28 of 36
enharu
Super Contributor

@turnerte wrote:

well if you really need a CLI, expect a HP.

It's the same for a lot of banks really. I like SP CLIs too, but it is just how it is.

Discover pulls TU for CLI requests though, so if you don't have a lot of inquiries on TU, it really doesn't even matter.

Most of my inquiries are on EX, so asking Chase / Citi for a CLI can be a hard pill to swallow since they pull EX primarily. I barely have any inquiries on EQ / TU, so whenever they want to pull those 2 bureaus, it doesn't even matter for me.

EDIT:
Are you also using the card though? Or do you want a CLI just to pad your utilization?
Most banks will not give you a CLI just to help you with your utilization. Your utilization is your own issue, and it makes no sense for them to set aside credit for you to help you with your utilization, if you get what I mean. The 3x Amex CLI, while nice, is by no means guaranteed as well.

The best way to help your utilization is to pay down your debt.

Message 29 of 36
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@turnerte wrote:

well if you really need a CLI, expect a HP.

It's the same for a lot of banks really. I like SP CLIs too, but it is just how it is.

Discover pulls TU for CLI requests though, so if you don't have a lot of inquiries on TU, it really doesn't even matter.

Most of my inquiries are on EX, so asking Chase / Citi for a CLI can be a hard pill to swallow since they pull EX primarily. I barely have any inquiries on EQ / TU, so whenever they want to pull those 2 bureaus, it doesn't even matter for me.

EDIT:
Are you also using the card though? Or do you want a CLI just to pad your utilization?
Most banks will not give you a CLI just to help you with your utilization. Your utilization is your own issue, and it makes no sense for them to set aside credit for you to help you with your utilization, if you get what I mean. The 3x Amex CLI, while nice, is by no means guaranteed as well.

The best way to help your utilization is to pay down your debt.

+1 There's a lot of emphasis on SP clis here because well, those are nice. But if you truly want a CLI, you should expect a HP from any CCC. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.