cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a good airline rewards card...

tag
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Looking for a good airline rewards card...

I wish I could get the United Mileage Plus card but I believe they go through Chase and unfortunately I've had some bad history with Chase and highly doubt they would give me a card. Loved that with 55,000 points you could get a free round trip tickets to anywhere in Europe either on United or Lufhtana.

Any other good card for international travel that you guys can recommend? How is the British Airways credit card, anyone know what the issuing bank is?
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking for a good airline rewards card...

@Mike_B03 wrote:
I wish I could get the United Mileage Plus card but I believe they go through Chase and unfortunately I've had some bad history with Chase and highly doubt they would give me a card. Loved that with 55,000 points you could get a free round trip tickets to anywhere in Europe either on United or Lufhtana.

Any other good card for international travel that you guys can recommend? How is the British Airways credit card, anyone know what the issuing bank is?

The British Airways card is issued by Chase along with the CSP (another good travel card). Another good travel card is probably the Venture card from Capital One or the Arrival from Barclay. 

Message 2 of 42
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Many of the nice travel rewards card are issued by Chase.  CSP and UA explorer would be the best cards for me but since issued by Chase for the moment a no go. My recent credit extention is getting Chase very nervous Smiley Sad  So I got Barclays Arrival instead and like the card so far.  But this card does not offer the same possibilities as the CSP. If you travel internationally do not get the Citi AAdvantage..this card is killing me for the FTF and I stopped using it. Would be a great card for only domestic travel but useless on international travel unless they remove the FTF.  I have still hopes that this will happen one day Smiley Happy  

Message 3 of 42
enharu
Super Contributor

British Airways is issued by Chase. 

American Express has good airline rewards cards as well. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 42
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

I just got an offer in the mail from AMEX for their "Green Card" which is actually a charge card and not a credit card (have to pay it in full every month). I don't mind that, but it seems that you get 1% back, so 25,000 points is worth $250. That would mean it would take roughly $125,000 - $150,000 spent to get a $1250 - $1500 ticket to Europe, which is horrible. The United Mileage card was $55,000 spent. Smiley Sad

Is there a time frame for when I may be able to apply with Chase again? I had a few charge offs with them 7-8 years ago. I also bank with Chase and asked my banker about a line of credit and he was like "Yea that's not going to happen for a loong loong time due to your history with Chase). Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 42
Open123
Super Contributor

Have you considered the Amex SPG?  

You can transfer to more ailrines than any other program and with a 25% bonus when transferring 20K points.  Currently has a 25K sign-up bonus.

Message 6 of 42
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous YouMike_B03 wrote:

I just got an offer in the mail from AMEX for their "Green Card" which is actually a charge card and not a credit card (havcharge ofay it in full every month). I don't mind that, but it seems that you get 1% back, so 25,000 points is worth $250. That would mean it would take roughly $125,000 - $150,000 spent to get a $1250 - $1500 ticket to Europe, which is horrible. The United Mileage card was $55,000 spent. Smiley Sad

Is there a time frame for when I may be able to apply with Chase again? I had a few charge offs with them 7-8 years ago. I also bank with Chase and asked my banker about a line of credit and he was like "Yea that's not going to happen for a loong loong time due to your history with Chase). Smiley Sad

I am in the same boat as you I applied for the CSP and was denied based on a charge off from 2008.  I Reconed and they stated the reason was the charge off and high util based on a recent BT.  I asked how long for the charge off and she said there is nothing concrete.  The kicker for the charge off is it was not even a chase card it was a providian card.  I think they were bought out by washington mutual  then by chase the system doesnt have that info I guess.

Message 7 of 42
tacaza
Valued Member

How about the Lufthansa Premier from Barclay?50k miles after 5k spend.
Message 8 of 42
Ailee92

For international

1. Any Chase UR points card OR United cards

2. Amex Gold or Platinum

For Domestic

1. Any Chase UR points card or United cards or Southwest

2. US Bank Flexperks

Message 9 of 42
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

If you qualify for the Green, you'd most likely qualify for the Premier Rewards Gold as well. It earns 3x Membership Rewards points on airfare and 2x MR points on gas station and supermarket purchases, as well as 1x on everything else. You can then transfer your points to MR travel partners for flights, hotels, etc.

If you like United/Lufthansa, I believe there is a way to book their flights through the MR Star Alliance partners (e.g ANA, Singapore Airlines). I'm not sure about the details, but a quick google search and perusing a few blogs should explain it more thoroughly.
EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.