cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a high limit credit card. Prev BK in 2011, good credit and income now

tag
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Re: Looking for a high limit credit card. Prev BK in 2011, good credit and income now

I filed BK in 2008. When I was about 5 years out, I had a 10K capital one card. I didn't get my AMEX until recently but they were pretty generous with the credit limit. My local credit union was also generous (went in and told them what credit limit I wanted). You should have a lot of options. I might be inclined to advice you to start with a local credit union, then capital one.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 11 of 25
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: Looking for a high limit credit card. Prev BK in 2011, good credit and income now

I seriously would consider trying to open a secured card with NFCU... or even consider offering to PIF on the NFCU burn......

Might be worth trying to get an in on their credit card lending and make amends...(but that wont get you a large limit immediately)

But try the prequalifys for Chase, Amex and definitely Cap One... Maybe try for a twofer with one of the Venture Ones if you get some preapprovals from Cap One.. yes it has an AF but... you might get a larger limit..... Could possibly combine it with another cap one card limit down the road if you want to be rid of the AF

Another technique you could try but you wouldnt get instant gratification would be to go for the Cap Ones... BTW depending on the degree of burn, you can pay them off and apply immediately.. or not bother and still possibly open an account.... and a few secured cards from more prime lenders... Should be doable with your income... and let them graduate... But its likely to take 2 years... Least for the BOA secured and probably at leat 1 to 1/2 for Disco... thats if you dont get preapproved or want to risk the apps... 

Any other ideas folks?

-J

Message 12 of 25
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

You cannot rely solely on card for high limit.  Your credit profile and income will determine the limits that you qualify for.  The BK will be a contricting factor for many creditors as long as it is on your reports.

@awm04 wrote:

most negatives are gone 

Keep working on these if you can if you want high limits.  These will also constrict the limits and other terms that you qualify for.

@awm04 wrote:

I don't know if this matters at all but I do get prescreened credit card offers and mortage refi offers literally every single day that the mail is delivered.

It doesn't.  They're just marketing like the rest of the junk mail.

Message 13 of 25
awm04

I didn't realize there was a website to check prequal offers, interesting. I'll have to search for that.
Message 14 of 25
awm04

Capital one gave me a prequal for quicksilver and venture rewards.

BOA gave me a prequal for BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ Credit Card, BankAmericard Travel Rewards® Credit Card, BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards® Credit Card and BankAmericard® Credit Card. 

US Bank gave prequal for U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card, U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Select+ American Express® Card, and U.S. Bank Cash+TM Visa Signature® Card. They also hold my mortgage, idk if that matters.

Nothing from Amex, Chase or Citibank.

Message 15 of 25
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@awm04 wrote:

Capital one gave me a prequal for quicksilver and venture rewards.

BOA gave me a prequal for BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ Credit Card, BankAmericard Travel Rewards® Credit Card, BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards® Credit Card and BankAmericard® Credit Card. 

US Bank gave prequal for U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card, U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Select+ American Express® Card, and U.S. Bank Cash+TM Visa Signature® Card. They also hold my mortgage, idk if that matters.

Nothing from Amex, Chase or Citibank.

Go with Cap1.. Got for Venture first if you get a 10-20k approval then go for the regular QS VS card not the QS one..  Will be a triple pull EQ/TU/EXP but worth it for the limit and if you can get two cards from them.. Cap1 is VERY forgiving if you ever burnt them before.  Wouldn't really trust BofA Prequal unless they give you a SET APR not a range as it is misleading.. I would avoid UsBank for now as well as they are very conservative and give small limits unless you have a pretty spotless profile.  So Basically my suggestion for cards with Big limits is do a Venture/QS dual applications as mentioned in first sentence through their pre-qual tool

Message 16 of 25
awm04

So that would be two separate applications correct? Venture then QS. But just one hard pull?

Should these be done same day or does it matter?

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 what CreditCuriousity recommended. Venture usually comes back with the highest CL, but you app back to back. Only 1 HP. If you want both cards, go for Venture then Quicksilver. What was the APR that they offered on both cards?
Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had family members, as of late, who have been denied the 2nd card after applying. Last year, if you had preapprovals for both cards, you usually got them both. Cap One may be tightening up on the double apps. Just my thought. But, your credit scores and credit profile looks very good, so you may get them both. Good luck!
Message 19 of 25
awm04

I intend to apply for the capital one venture card.

I do have one more question. I'm in the midst of changing jobs and getting a large raise.

I obviously would like my credit limit to be based on the new income level.

Should I wait until I have officially changed jobs to apply?

I'm just concerned about them calling to verify my income prior to my start date at the new job.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.