cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new account....Suggestions??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for a new account....Suggestions??

@B335is wrote:
I would look at establishing a relationship with a Credit Union. They're more likely to give you a good limit, APR and it's an option for financing a car at some point if you need it.

Why don't you list cu that does not do a chexs inquiry. OP has tried cu but can't join because he has 2 negatives on chexs.

Message 21 of 33
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

My bad I missed the Chex info. Navy and USAA if eligible. I think USAA uses Telecheck.
Message 22 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@B335is wrote:
My bad I missed the Chex info. Navy and USAA if eligible. I think USAA uses Telecheck.

I missed it too. Probably because, other than his post, it appears nowhere in this thread.

Message 23 of 33
NRB525
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
"Improving a credit profile" and going for bonuses and travel points are not one in the same like you imply though. Its fine to go for those things, but who's to say it will benefit OP? Perhaps a decent limit on a cash back card would be better. Who knows?

I agree that OP deserves better limits but to equate that with a need for MR points etc just seems like a weak connection at best. We need more info on OPs spending habits. As stated above too, too much diversity and spreading spend can be bad too if you dont control yourself.

OP has interest in the ED card. Getting an additional card with no AF and a clear pathway to increasing the CL (that would be AMEX, and not many others) can improve the credit profie.

The ED card brings along with it an implied sign up bonus. If you go back and re-read my first post, my recommendation was it could be a good app HOWEVER to also decide whether OP wants to go now for only 10,000 points or wait for a better MR points offer. Wait = later, just to clarify the logic for you. There's nothing in my post that is pushing MR points on anyone. OP is interested in a card and I'm pointing out to OP that the current one-time bonus offer may not be the best out there.

Spreading spend? OP has two cards. People make the choice to transition to a different type of reward structure if a card or set of cards better aligns with their plans, or the rewards on a card are more valuable. And getting a sign up bonus is the most efficient way of getting any mass of points/miles, bar none. On a no AF card, if follow-on spend is not significant, there's not a penalty for just having the card.

We can't make the choices for the OP. Your first post, however, includes no mention of cash back cards as an option to app for, or any other considerations of what to do. Just "If nothing is interesting don't app."

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 24 of 33
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I missed it too. Probably because, other than his post, it appears nowhere in this thread.

DCU uses Chex..dont apply with them.

Penfed did not pull chex for me, and neither did Nasa, Langley, SDFCU, 

Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm pretty sure Penfed and nasa pulled chexs on me. I'll have to find my chexs report.
Message 26 of 33
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@B335is wrote:

DCU uses Chex..dont apply with them.

Penfed did not pull chex for me, and neither did Nasa, Langley, SDFCU, 

Ive applied over the last yr to IDK...maybe 6 different CU's, and I just got my chex report last week in the mail....only one that showed was DCU

Message 27 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have never gotten a chex report..?
Message 28 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had 8 chex inquiries from chase, alone. Smiley Happy So much fun signing up for bonuses and canceling after requirements were meet.

One day, I got denied signing up for a bonus and the supervisor told me to check my chex report. Oh my!

Message 29 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

dumb practice.
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.