Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for a new credit card

I'm looking for a larger balanced credit card than what I have which is an Orchard Bank card with a $600 limit which I usually keep empty.  (I understand this will be determined from my FICO scores)  Nonetheless I've decided to apply for a new card, but I'm unsure which one to apply for.

I want a card which I can request CLI with soft pulls.  I could care less about all the rewards that go along with the cards.  Does anyone have any ideas?

I've heard BOA has good cards, but at the same time, I have heard issues as well.  I guess this will be the case for every credit card as they can't make everyone happy.  Still, I don't want to get stuck with another Orchard Bank.

Any ideas what I should try for?  Capital one maybe?  I have a Capital One auto loan in perfect standing with them, would that help for a credit card with them?  I don't know.  Do they do soft pulls on CLI's?

TU: 682 / EQ: 635 / EXP: 686
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for a new credit card

Your EX and TU are pretty good. In my experience, BOA primarily pulls EX, and then supplements it with TU on rare instances.

Personally, I'd try BOA. I recently got a Citi Diamond Preferred card, which had a lower CL than what BOA gave me, and, at least yesterday, the customer service wasn't nearly as good as what I'm used to at BOA, being rushed and somewhat snotty.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi webman,

I'd like to suggest a slightly different approach.

Why don't you consider joining Pentagon Federal Credit Union?
If you can't join based on their general criteria for membership,
they have a very extensive list of affiliated organizations that you can
join for a very small fee ($25). That will allow you to join PenFed.

They pull Equifax exclusively and it IS a hard pull. However, that hard pull
is good for 60 days. So if you wanna go back later for a line of credit,
another credit card, etc it's not going to hurt  you inquiry-wise or lower
your FICO score.

Here's the link and toll-free number:

1-800-247-5626

These guys have a major national footprint, their opening limits are
very generous, and credit unions are better than banks because the
membership owns them. Customer service is phenomenal.

So give it a shot and see what happens. And make sure you tell them that
you heard about them thru myFICO...they're starting to take notice...

Good luck to you!!! Smiley Happy

CanDo

"The right attitude is everything"
Message 3 of 16
tonsers
Frequent Contributor

If you want a higher limit, I would recommend BofA. They are very generous with CLIs and do not do hard pulls when you ask for one.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does it matter which card I choose?  Will the balance be the same on all of them?

Also, does it matter to have Visa/MasterCard/Amex?  Is there really a difference?

Thanks
Message 5 of 16
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

webman wrote:

Does it matter which card I choose?  Will the balance be the same on all of them?

Also, does it matter to have Visa/MasterCard/Amex?  Is there really a difference?

Thanks

Have you tried the pre-approval link for BofA?

That seems to be a good indicator of what they'll give you and it's based on a soft pull.  I have the BofA Amex.  I was pre-approved via the link, rec'd a CL of 2k and took it to 5k after a month.  (My EX was around 656 and TU around 665 when I applied.)  If you have a FA or have your CRs locked, you will not be able to use that link for anything other than a secured card.

Also, CanDo suggested PenFed; however, if I were you I'd wait a bit until your EQ levels out w/ the rest of your scores.  I've got my eye on PenFed (specifically their gas card), but I'm waiting until at least September.

ETA:  Correct link

Message Edited by WhirledPeasPlease on 04-20-2008 05:40 PM
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be difficult to get a credit card from PenFed with a 635 EQ. Not impossible, but VERY difficult.
Message 7 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Absolutely do the Bank of America pre-app site. (If you are opted out, you won't get any offers.) The AmEx seems to be the favorite around here.

Your EX score is fine for them. If you don't have any baddies cluttering up your reports, you should get a decent card. And btw, most (not all) people who accept a pre-approved card wind up with a higher limit. GL!

Should add here: your EX score is well within the range for an American Express card. Do be aware, though, that they are very sniffy about recent late payments and bankruptcy of any kind. (Collections, too, I think.) HTH
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried the link, but it was for a business card at first... I put in sole prioprietor, clicked submit, said no offers.  I closed my browser, re-clicked on the link and got the regular one.  Did the same process with no business info needed.  Still got no offers Smiley Sad.

Now what?  What does opting-out mean?  Any ideas on what I should try next?

Thanks
Message 9 of 16
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

ACK!  That's MY fault..

The correct (non-business) link is..

I'm so sorry. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.