Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a prestigious credit card

tag
tim2
Contributor

Looking for a prestigious credit card

I am at the point in my life where I would like a prestigious credit card.  I know there is the AMX platinum.  Any other good ones out there? 

Anyone know what the qualifications are for some of these?

Message 1 of 95
94 REPLIES 94
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

Re: Looking for a prestigious credit card

What does your credit file look like? 

Message 2 of 95
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Visa Black

Kidding!  What do you consider prestigious?  I've had the most comments made on CSP personally, but it's like "is it hard carrying such a heavy card around?"  Comments I could live without and in no way reflect on it's prestige.

Here's a list of top 7 from creditcards.com:

1)  Sherbank Visa Infinite Gold

2)  Dubai First Royale MC

3)  Amex Centurion

4)  JPM Palladium

5)  RBS Coutts Worldcard

6)  Sotheby's WEMC

7)  Amex Platinum!

Message 3 of 95
tim2
Contributor

I have about 20 years of credit - no baddies - and about to pay off everything so my utilization will be zero.

Message 4 of 95
watch44
Frequent Contributor

Prestigious to someone who only has a cursory knowledge of cards? Easy, Amex gold. And it's not even a particularly hard to get card score or income-wise. 

Now if you want a card that's going to impress someone who has hard to get cards themselves or has a wider experience with credit cards, that's asking a different question. Most cards on this list require knowledge to truly appreciate.

Let's say for instance I saw an Amex Platinum in the wild. I would recognize that has basically the same underwriting as an Amex green but with a higher annual fee and no hard income requirements. Kids with part time jobs can get one if they have the right scores. Whatevs. Cat Frustrated

I've heard the Marriott Rewards is impressive looking tho. Metal. Black. Nuff said. And it's a bargain at only $89 a year! 

Personally tho, I think the Ritz Carlton card is one hell of a sexy card. It presents a very understated statement that, "yeah, I'm accruing rewards cause I'm frugal, when I stay at my regular 5 star hotel." 

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 5 of 95
Bman70
Established Contributor

My Capital One image card is pretty prestigious.. there's only one ever made Smiley Happy 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 6 of 95
Involver
Valued Contributor

Don't pay everything down to zero.

Pay all your cards down to 0 except for one. Let the statement cut with like $10 and then pay it off.

Your score will drop pretty significantly for no balances reporting.
Message 7 of 95
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

My Capital One image card is pretty prestigious.. there's only one ever made Smiley Happy 

Is it sad I read that a few times.. that's hilarious! 

Message 8 of 95
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

@watch44 wrote:

Prestigious to someone who only has a cursory knowledge of cards? Easy, Amex gold. And it's not even a particularly hard to get card score or income-wise. 

Now if you want a card that's going to impress someone who has hard to get cards themselves or has a wider experience with credit cards, that's asking a different question. Most cards on this list require knowledge to truly appreciate.

Let's say for instance I saw an Amex Platinum in the wild. I would recognize that has basically the same underwriting as an Amex green but with a higher annual fee and no hard income requirements. Kids with part time jobs can get one if they have the right scores. Whatevs. Cat Frustrated

I've heard the Marriott Rewards is impressive looking tho. Metal. Black. Nuff said. And it's a bargain at only $89 a year! 

Personally tho, I think the Ritz Carlton card is one hell of a sexy card. It presents a very understated statement that, "yeah, I'm accruing rewards cause I'm frugal, when I stay at my regular 5 star hotel." 

So true.  Over the years, I have worked in jobs where I have seen really great and exclusive credit cards (OMG - and it is not as dirty as that sounds), and it was more impressive before I got all into credit and now know card requirements.  That said, OP, please never be one of those people that acts like a jerk because of what they have in their wallet.  Seen this many times.  Best of luck to you in the end.  If you find a pretty card, you can impress most people. 

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 9 of 95
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Also keep in mind that in the minds of most people AMERICAN EXPRESS means prestige.  While Ritz Carlton might not be so for the average person.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 10 of 95
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.