Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice and a good CU with fairly generous CLs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for advice and a good CU with fairly generous CLs

I'm looking for a CU to join that's fairly open and that's fairly generous with CLs.

I'm not military nor is anyone I'm related to. Also, I'm not looking to join at this very moment, as only my TU has been updated with my AMEX now reporting and backdating to 1999. And I'm about 30 days away from my 61 day AMEX 3x CLI so I'd like that to happen and report before I join and apply for any more credit. I'm thinking of trying in a couple of months and avoiding ANY HP in the meantime, in case any suggested CUs are inquiry sensitive.

My current scores are EX-701, EQ-723, TU-688. TU got a huge bump today now that my AMEX is reporting and showing a 1999 backdate. I'm hoping my other two scores get a decent bump as well.

My current inquiry counts are EX-4, EQ-0, TU-0.

Current income is about $34k.

Active accounts are BofA secured Visa ($1.5k), AMEX Everyday ($2k), BofA auto loan ($15k)

With this info, with which CUs would I have a better shot? Now, with my profile and income, I'm not going to be unrealistic and try/wish for a 50k CL Visa or anything like that. But a 5-10k CL would be great on my profile after my AMEX CLI. My end goal isn't to have 100 cards and/or 3x my income in credit. But I'd like decent cards with decent limits to build upon. Hoping to apply for a Sallie Mae next year once my accounts have some time to age and show good payment history and low utilization. Also hoping to get a Venture at some point and possibly another AMEX next year.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: Looking for advice and a good CU with fairly generous CLs

Penfed, NASA and DCU.

good luck!

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Iv asked the same question before on a couple forum and most of the answers were Navy , Penfed , Nasa and DCU . Also PSECU if you live in PA .
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't get Navy. I've been looking into DCU and PenFed. It seems PenFed is very conservative and strict but I like that they only do one HP. I'm not thrilled about a double pull from DCU. I read that NASA was doing SPs for membership and CCs but that appears to have stopped a few months ago as did their generous CLs.

I think I'm leaning towards PenFed. Is it likely that I'll get denied for having new accounts though?

Message 4 of 5
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't get Navy. I've been looking into DCU and PenFed. It seems PenFed is very conservative and strict but I like that they only do one HP. I'm not thrilled about a double pull from DCU. I read that NASA was doing SPs for membership and CCs but that appears to have stopped a few months ago as did their generous CLs.

I think I'm leaning towards PenFed. Is it likely that I'll get denied for having new accounts though?

I was also searching for a CC with the highest chance for highest starting limit and chose NASA.    

I apped for the membership first and received a "referred" status.   Then I realized that my EXP report was unlocked.  So I unfroze it.  

Several minutes later decided to app for the CC and was approved for  $20K+.  

Not sure if the NASA membership is required since the CC was approved despite the membership being in referred status. 

I'll update if both the membership and CC will cost me two SPs, two HPs, or just one of each....or just 1 SP.  

GLTY

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.