cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for an LOC.... any suggestions?

tag
Laurenlou
Regular Contributor

Re: Looking for an LOC.... any suggestions?

Thanks for all of the replies- no luck on NavyFed. My DH served 4 years at a time of war and we still don't qualify. I don't get it.

I've got some calls out to a couple of the local CU's in my area, but the people I've spoken to don't sound too optimistic about my approval. My average is 614 now, all I want is $3000 for 18 months. Hopefully they can overlook my credit problems 3 years ago and see my perfect payment history the last couple of years...

Message 11 of 25
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You probably wouldn't qualify for a loan from them yet, but I think that your DH is eligible to join USAA, and then you can. Open up a savings account or something and let it grow. When your scores start moving up, you can start looking at their credit products:

Who is Eligible?

Membership is open to:

* Children of USAA members.
* Active-duty officers and enlisted personnel.
* National Guard and Selected Reserve officers and enlisted personnel.
* Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).
* Former military personnel:
o Retired officers and enlisted personnel.
o Former officers and enlisted personnel who separated on or after 01/01/1996.
* Former USAA members who had auto or property insurance.
USAA: Become a Member / Eligibility

The part that I highlighted is new. He just has to be separated; not "retired."

You'll find that it's really worthwhile in the long run to get in with them while you can. And they sometimes change their eligibility, so I'd jump on it, if you're interested.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 25
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

i have an off the wall question hauling regarding usaa..op sorry for the jacking of your post..i have had a usaa savings for a while and my question is, do you have to really put your savings to use to eventually to help to qualify along with credit score for a usaa credit or loan product? meaning do i need to have a large savings or account with them. the reason i ask is bc i have only about $50 in that account as i dont use it at all and didnt know if that would affect me in the long run..
~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy's Signature loan has a lower APR than their LOC.
Message 14 of 25
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

(sorry, I neglected to hit the "quote" button --this was in reply to bamagirl)

Wow, I don't know --I was with them forever (had car insurance with them long ago) but dormant, I suppose you'd say. Then I starting using them as direct deposit for my paychecks, and one day the card just popped up. (My days of happy ignorance, lol.)

But I could swear that I've read posts by members who joined and got cards the same day. The only reason I advised OP to hold off is because I think the scores need to come up some before trying for credit, and I'm afraid that they might drop the "separated" eligibility at some point.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 12-29-2008 07:41 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bamagirl1 wrote:
i have an off the wall question hauling regarding usaa..op sorry for the jacking of your post..i have had a usaa savings for a while and my question is, do you have to really put your savings to use to eventually to help to qualify along with credit score for a usaa credit or loan product? meaning do i need to have a large savings or account with them. the reason i ask is bc i have only about $50 in that account as i dont use it at all and didnt know if that would affect me in the long run..

You only need membership in USAA to apply for their credit cards.  I do not have a savings account with USAAand only $25 in my checking.  My primary checking and savings is NFCU.

Message Edited by FaircreditguyFL on 12-29-2008 07:43 PM
Message 16 of 25
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

hauling--

well i wouldnt be app'ng anytime soon but i have considered switching my auto insurance to them, but i didnt know that once my scores come up some, does it matter how much i use it (more the better or does it matter) to look more favorably for me to become eligible once credit improves..

Message 17 of 25
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

fair

do you have a card with usaa? or have you been offered one? i thought you had to have a chkg svgs something to be eligible for their credit products

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have AMEX and Mastercard
Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only had credit cards until I made over payment.  I had to open checking account to recoup the overpayment.
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.