cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for an entertainment card...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for an entertainment card...

I already have a freedom card with quarterly rewards; next quarter will be restaurants and what not so I'm. It worries about it for now.

In terms of spending between cell phone (Amex for ten percent back), utilities for about 200 a month with Barclay, and gas quarterly with Chase or 2 percent on Barclay or Chase of about 350 I'm good and grocery of about 200 a month with Amex I utilize my rewards for those. But entertainment takes up about 800-1000 dollars a month; some of that is lunch runs at work- why not get free money for running for food haha.
Message 21 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I already have a freedom card with quarterly rewards; next quarter will be restaurants and what not so I'm. It worries about it for now.

In terms of spending between cell phone (Amex for ten percent back), utilities for about 200 a month with Barclay, and gas quarterly with Chase or 2 percent on Barclay or Chase of about 350 I'm good and grocery of about 200 a month with Amex I utilize my rewards for those. But entertainment takes up about 800-1000 dollars a month; some of that is lunch runs at work- why not get free money for running for food haha.

Just be careful having too many "specific purpose" cards. It dilutes your rewards by having a card for this, a card for that, etc. Of course, some people don't mind, but thought I'd point it out.

Message 22 of 25
JamP
Valued Contributor

Huntington The Voice 3% Restaurants category (10 categories to chose from)

Sams MC 3% Restaurants 5% Gas

Chase AARP 3% Gas/Restaurants

Discover 5% Restaurants Category for 3 months once a year

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just don't see how I would dilute my rewards if I am maximizing them?
Message 24 of 25
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I just don't see how I would dilute my rewards if I am maximizing them?

I don't want to go too off-topic for the thread, but KDM is referring to some spending habits where people spread their spend across too many cards in an attempt to build up rewards. The main issue would be for cards that have a redemption threshold; too low of a spend would delay meeting the threshold.   Anyway, since your topic was entertainment cards, I'd prefer that we steer back to that topic.

Depending on your spend, you might benefit more from a card that gives 3% across all dining (restaurants, bars & cafes, fast food, and caterers) than ones with more specific categories, such as Cash+ (5% fast food and 2% restaurants, if selected, but 1% on all else).    However, if your general spend exceeding your dining spend and you wanted to only use card, having a 2% card might be better than 3% and 1% general.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.