Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for my third CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for my third CC

What AMEX card did you get approved for? 

Message 21 of 30
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

wrote:
I was didn't have any patience, applied for an Amex and got approved. Disappointed with my current credit line($500) but atleast I got approved. Any technique to get the most points with two cards?

AMEX won't report until the second statement, so until then, let your Capital One card report a small balance. After that, let one card report a small balance with the other reporting zero.

Note that if you switch the card that reports the small balance, there'll likely be a period where both cards have small balances or both cards have zero. balances. The ding for both cards reporting zero will likely be larger than the ding for both cards having small balances. Either way, you'll get your points back when you're back to one card reporting, so there's no need to have a panic attack over the temporary point fluctuaction.

Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I app for the blue cash everyday
Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heavenohio,
I'm grateful to have members who give their options like you do. Per AMEX, in order to get a CLI I would need it to report a balance every month so I should have the AMEX report a balance of 8.9% or less then have my cap1 report zero?
Message 24 of 30
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Yeah, make sure the AMEX card's statements cut with a balance right away, and do that every month. In a month or so, start having the Capital One card report zero.

Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply. I was wondering as I have my eye on the BCP down-the-line. I'm also looking for ways to increase my starting line. I will have to let my Chase FU report a small balance to entice AMEX for the 3x CLI in 61 days. 

Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have the right mindset.

I'm curious but what was your score when you applied for the Chase FU? I'm kind of interested in that CC but with my thin credit file I'm not sure if I'll get approved. I'd like to have 3 cards roughly around the same time so it doesn't effect my AAoA too bad but I'd probably be better off in acouple months to have a nice SL if I get approved.
Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase was my first credit card, so my file was desperately thin with revolving history. I had positive payment with my car loan and student loans. However, I've had a High School and College checking and savings account with Chase for over 8+ years. So, I believe that helped me. However, I did get the bare minimum for starting line. My scores were similar to my first line in my signature, so pretty bad. I was hurt for not having revolving credit, as well as six medical bill derogatories on TransUnion only. 

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to try the AZEO strategy but a little confused. I'm aware I need to keep 2 of my cards at $0 and leave a small balance on the third card. So do I leave a balance on 1 before the statement cuts and leaving the other two at $0? I'm hesitant because not sure if reporting a balance of $0 will effect my score negatively.

FYI
Cap1: 5 months old, statement cuts on the 19th
Amex: 1 month old, statement cuts on the 13th
Chase: 1 month old, statement cuts on the 25th
Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
I'd like to try the AZEO strategy but a little confused. I'm aware I need to keep 2 of my cards at $0 and leave a small balance on the third card. So do I leave a balance on 1 before the statement cuts and leaving the other two at $0? I'm hesitant because not sure if reporting a balance of $0 will effect my score negatively.

FYI
Cap1: 5 months old, statement cuts on the 19th
Amex: 1 month old, statement cuts on the 13th
Chase: 1 month old, statement cuts on the 25th

Personally, I would let Chase report a small balance. Less than $81 (81/900) because AMEX will not report until next statement, to my knowledge, then pay. Even if you do it wrong, you're within the 0% APR period with the CFU. Just my opinion. I'm still learning, as well! 

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.