cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for some advice on what to do next.

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Looking for some advice on what to do next.

Not_the_Point wrote:
Oh I just read the "fine print" and it does look like you don't actually need to have family in the armed forces. In that case this might work out Smiley Tongue
Right --neither you nor any family members have to have connections to the military or be a federal employee or contractor. You just go via the National Military Families Association, which is kind of a support group, I suppose. And you only have to join them initially; you don't have to keep going with them.

I work for the federal government, but my particular agency doesn't qualify me for anything but ulcers and accelerated hair loss (mostly in men.) So I just went in through NMFA, and I'm a happy PenFed camper.

Now that WaMu is Chase, you may well soon have a Chase card. They're not doing anything right away, as I understand it, but it's coming.

Assuming that you can get through to WaMu on the phone, I would ask about getting that card unsecured. Your scores are too crazy high for them to keep your money. Although considering their recent troubles, I can perhaps see why they did. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 19
Not_the_Point
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the advice all.

One more question though!

Is it worthwhile to get a Charge Card to have that in my "mix of types of credit"? As far as I know the only one out there is AMEX and I kind of dread getting an AMEX after everything I've read about how unpredictable they are. What other options are there?

8/27/10 -
TU FICO 768
EQ FICO 763
EX PLUS 732

Message 12 of 19
wmarat
Valued Contributor

My Macy's Store Card is reported as a charge account, and I defently advise to get this one.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 13 of 19
Not_the_Point
Regular Contributor

My Sears card also reports as a Charge Card... but I was under the impression that a Store card isn't quite the same as an AMEX charge card when it comes to the mix of types of credit.

8/27/10 -
TU FICO 768
EQ FICO 763
EX PLUS 732

Message 14 of 19
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Probably you are right. At the same time AMX is very nervous right now and implement a lot of AA's, so do you need card from an unreliable lender?
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 15 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

No, you don't need a charge card. You "need" a gas/ retail card.

Many people still call store cards "charge cards", including sometimes on credit reports, but they are revolving credit. There are no credit mix points for having a true charge card, defined as payable in 30 days and typified by Amex Green, Gold, Plat, etc.

What's In Your Score?

Types of Credit Used

* Number of (presence, prevalence, and recent information on) various types of accounts (credit cards, retail accounts, installment loans, mortgage, consumer finance accounts, etc.)

Retail, as in store or gas badge, but without a Visa/MC/etc logo. No mention of charge accounts. HTH
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 10-05-2008 01:36 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 19
Not_the_Point
Regular Contributor

Awesome, no need to re-apply for an AMEX now or in the future then. Best news I've heard all day Smiley Happy

8/27/10 -
TU FICO 768
EQ FICO 763
EX PLUS 732

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just as an aside, Kohl's still call their store card a charge card.
Message 18 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Ulan wrote:
Just as an aside, Kohl's still call their store card a charge card.

Yes, all the jargon is wonderfully confusing! Smiley Tongue
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.