Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for some other Credit Cards, need advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for some other Credit Cards, need advice

Hi everyone,

I just found this forum as I've been searching for a new Credit Card for the past week or so. I read about 20 pages of the recent topics Smiley Happy Some info about me:

I'm 22, a student in college with roughly $15k in income a year (I've got a really nice part-time job on campus).

I've had one credit card, a classic visa at 12% opened with my university FCU since Feb 2007. CL was $1,500 when started, then auto to $2,500 and now $3,500. Now it's carrying about a $2,500 balance since I charged last months rent and some xmas presents. Never ever been late on payments and always pay much more than the min amt due.

Two days ago I was approved for an AmEx Zync which I'm happy about so that should be here in a week. I wasn't instant approved, they had to verify my address through my bank as I just moved but it just took a simple phone call.

I'm looking to add another CC, preferrably something not too sketchy with a reasonable interest rate. I'd also like the option of balance transfers. I don't ever anticipate needing it, but I don't like that some of the "student" cards I see don't even offer the option. I'd also prefer a Visa/MC.

What is everyone's recommendations? Honestly I don't have a clue about my credit score, but it can't be too terrible if I was approved for the Zync.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Looking for some other Credit Cards, need advice

Citi Freedom!

Message 2 of 11
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

You mean Citi Forward?!?!?!

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 3 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@jthedges wrote:

You mean Citi Forward?!?!?!

YES Smiley Happy

oops silly me, must have been logged into my freedom card at the time!

Message 4 of 11
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

Lol, I am wishing I had apped for the Forward card.  I clicked on the wrong link, and got carried away.  Now I have the Diamond Preferred Rewards.

Maybe I will reapply in 5 months or so once my Diamond reached 6 months of age.

-----------------------
Message 5 of 11
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

@jthedges wrote:

Lol, I am wishing I had apped for the Forward card.  I clicked on the wrong link, and got carried away.  Now I have the Diamond Preferred Rewards.

Maybe I will reapply in 5 months or so once my Diamond reached 6 months of age.

What's wrong with Diamond Preferred Rewards? I think it's one of Citi's best card.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 6 of 11
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

I spend more money at restaurants then gas and groceries.

What reasons do you think its one their best?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

-----------------------
Message 7 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just found this forum as I've been searching for a new Credit Card for the past week or so. I read about 20 pages of the recent topics Smiley Happy Some info about me:

I'm 22, a student in college with roughly $15k in income a year (I've got a really nice part-time job on campus).

I've had one credit card, a classic visa at 12% opened with my university FCU since Feb 2007. CL was $1,500 when started, then auto to $2,500 and now $3,500. Now it's carrying about a $2,500 balance since I charged last months rent and some xmas presents. Never ever been late on payments and always pay much more than the min amt due.

Two days ago I was approved for an AmEx Zync which I'm happy about so that should be here in a week. I wasn't instant approved, they had to verify my address through my bank as I just moved but it just took a simple phone call.

I'm looking to add another CC, preferrably something not too sketchy with a reasonable interest rate. I'd also like the option of balance transfers. I don't ever anticipate needing it, but I don't like that some of the "student" cards I see don't even offer the option. I'd also prefer a Visa/MC.

What is everyone's recommendations? Honestly I don't have a clue about my credit score, but it can't be too terrible if I was approved for the Zync.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums.

Have you looked at the Credit Card Center here onsite?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have taken a look at the Credit Card Center, but was more curious in people's experiences they've encountered in applying for cards and hopefully get some information on what my best shot is in terms of going for a card so I don't have to apply to many many cards.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi lishpy,

What are your current plans on paying down the utilization on the 2500 balance on the 3500 CL Visa?

Getting that 71% utilization down is a significant part of planning your next app.  

Also check your AAofA.  What is it now?  And what would it be if you app'd for an additional card?  Depending on the math - It may be good to wait for six months or so.

Congrats on your good work - and best wishes!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.