Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for suggestions on cards to apply for

tag
Josh611
Regular Contributor

Looking for suggestions on cards to apply for

Hey everybody

Later this month my newest account will be 6 months old (same with most recent inq) and I'm wanting to pick up at least one or two cards

My scores and info are as follows and are from the myFICO website

EQ 727, 7 Inq

EX 740, 3 Inq

TU 713, 6 Inq

Income is only ~$12k. Full time college student..

Oldest account is 9 months old, newest will be 6 months old

Have two cards CapOne Secured with $801 limit, and Kohl's Charge with $400.

I am also an authorized user on a 10 year old BoA Rewards Card with a 5k limit and perfect history

Util is always below 10% on one card

I know I will be applying for the Amex BCE to get started with them and for the gas cash back. Was also thinking about the Double cash card for the 2% everything but don't know how they are with shorter history. Don't spend a whole lot a month. Maybe $300-$400 mostly on gas, $50 a week. With the occasional dining. I also have a chase checking account that is a month old. Would love to get a freedom but they usually like more than a year of credit history.

What other cards do some of you recomned that I apply for that I will have a good chance of approval on?

I appreciate any suggestions and opinions.

Current FICO Scores EQ 782,TU 755, EX 754

AMEX BCE $24k, Quicksilver $10k, Venture $13k, Sallie Mae Mastercard $8.3K Chase Freedom 5k, Discover IT $3.4k, Kohl's Charge $2.5k, Capital One Secured $801
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for suggestions on cards to apply for

Try the chase pre-qualify site. It's very accurate and I'm thinking you'd probably get a couple hits. Freedom for sure if not csp. Good luck!

Message 2 of 8
Billybob_TX
Frequent Contributor

AMEX anything is a good choice, they grow with you as you grow in the money world. Don't go app crazy because you don't make very much as a student. There are some student cards out there, have you looked at those?

Message 3 of 8
Josh611
Regular Contributor

Nothing pops up on the chase prequalify site. Have tried it a few times. Have never had anything pop up on a prequalify site.

Have looked at some of the student cards. Like the discover it but basically useless with the Amex. Also thought about the cap1 journey but don't like the multiple inq

AMEX BCE $24k, Quicksilver $10k, Venture $13k, Sallie Mae Mastercard $8.3K Chase Freedom 5k, Discover IT $3.4k, Kohl's Charge $2.5k, Capital One Secured $801
Message 4 of 8
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Sallie Mae MasterCard

Citi Double Cash

Bank of America Better Balance Rewards

The problem is that FICO scores aren't the only issue. Income, length of time with employer, etc, etc there are a lot of factors they can consider.

PS: rumor has it that US Bank will have some sort of new card on 9/11.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

i would get chase freedom, then if approved wait a few days do the pre qualif. again and see what it says

Message 6 of 8
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

Id go discover. they were my first card. 

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Future Cards Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+, Freedom
Goal increase CLs by 20k in 2015
Message 7 of 8
Josh611
Regular Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Sallie Mae MasterCard

Citi Double Cash

Bank of America Better Balance Rewards

The problem is that FICO scores aren't the only issue. Income, length of time with employer, etc, etc there are a lot of factors they can consider.

PS: rumor has it that US Bank will have some sort of new card on 9/11.

Isn't US Bank a very conservative lender? I thought about their Cash+ but read it is harder to get.

I think my plan of attack will be BCE, then the freedom. If I'm declined for the freedom I may go for the discover it. I believe I will get the BCE with hopefully a 2k limit.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.