Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for the best Cash Back Option

tag
Iamien
Established Member

Looking for the best Cash Back Option

Just passed my CLI increase days on my Amex and Citi card, and was planning on applying for the Penfed 5% Gas cashback and found out the unfortunate news about the benefit reduction.

Looking for a card that can provide a high-% constant cashback in Fast Food/Restaraunts, Gas and billpay if possible.

I Would go for US Cash+ but I do not want to end up with another Cash Rewards if they deny me, which they will not guarantee they won't do.

733 TU (08/21/2013)
Amex BCE($20,000): 3% Groceries - 2% Gas - 2% Department Stores
US Bank Cash+($9,500): 5% Fast Food - 5% Cellphones - 2% Resteraunts
Chase Freedom($4000): 5% Rotating
CapOne QuickSilver($30,000): 1.5% Everything
Citi Double Cash($12,500): 2% Everything.
Lowes($2,400) 5% off Lowes.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
vagrants
Regular Contributor

Re: Looking for the best Cash Back Option

@Iamien wrote:

Just passed my CLI increase days on my Amex and Citi card, and was planning on applying for the Penfed 5% Gas cashback and found out the unfortunate news about the benefit reduction.

Looking for a card that can provide a high-% constant cashback in Fast Food/Restaraunts, Gas and billpay if possible.

I Would go for US Cash+ but I do not want to end up with another Cash Rewards if they deny me, which they will not guarantee they won't do.

PC Cash Rewards. There were some success reports on this forum. If you can apply, Huntington Voice for BillPay.

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 2 of 19
Iamien
Established Member

I tried right after I got the card,  phone-chain led me to someone having me re-apply for the same card by phone.

I cancelled it obviously as she seemed clueless to what a product change was. Just sock drawered it.  I also haven't put any charges on that card as their website did not provide a method to setup automatic payments.

733 TU (08/21/2013)
Amex BCE($20,000): 3% Groceries - 2% Gas - 2% Department Stores
US Bank Cash+($9,500): 5% Fast Food - 5% Cellphones - 2% Resteraunts
Chase Freedom($4000): 5% Rotating
CapOne QuickSilver($30,000): 1.5% Everything
Citi Double Cash($12,500): 2% Everything.
Lowes($2,400) 5% off Lowes.
Message 3 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

As only a short term fix (stock up on gift cards), for 6 months:

http://www.tdbank.com/personalcreditcard/cashrewardscard.html

Earn 5% cash back on eligible purchases including dining, groceries, gas and cable, phone and utility bill payments for 6 months

I think this is the best short term offer out there for normal every day spend as it is uncapped, but 6 months is rather short....

Message 4 of 19
vagrants
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

As only a short term fix (stock up on gift cards), for 6 months:

http://www.tdbank.com/personalcreditcard/cashrewardscard.html

Earn 5% cash back on eligible purchases including dining, groceries, gas and cable, phone and utility bill payments for 6 months

I think this is the best short term offer out there for normal every day spend as it is uncapped, but 6 months is rather short....

Good one. For 5x short-term offers, WF has 6 month as well. And, who else...Citizens...I think...for 3 months. Not sure about the categories though.

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 5 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

This has more categories than WF and Citizens (which as both basically Gas/Grocery/Drug Store).  This lacks Drug Stores (so I won't mention VR!) but dining and utilities are a great addition

Message 6 of 19
vagrants
Regular Contributor

@Iamien wrote:

I tried right after I got the card,  phone-chain led me to someone having me re-apply for the same card by phone.

I would keep calling until I find a CSR who knows how to do PC. The best case scenario I read for the PC was wait for a month with a senior anaylist getting involved. The most I heard was after 6 months.

Message 7 of 19
vagrants
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

This has more categories than WF and Citizens (which as both basically Gas/Grocery/Drug Store).  This lacks Drug Stores (so I won't mention VR!) but dining and utilities are a great addition

Dining = if the OP can't get PC to Cash+. Utilities = depends upon the service fees of the utility companies. It makes sense to pay with MO with 5x VISA GC for me at least for the electric/gas/water. Better than paying $3 - $4/transaction for CC payments.

I generally don't go for promotional ones. I rather want to have CCs that I keep for a long time. Yes, there probably will be a devaluation or a forced conversion, but usually I get grandfathered in to keep current bonus categories.

Message 8 of 19
L-TWT
Established Contributor

@Iamien wrote:

IMO, Cap1 QuickSilver provides the best overall cash back. Their rewards structure is very simple and reward redemption is like the "Burger King" slogan.....you can have it your own way! This has become my goto CC 4 everything, from everyday expenses, bills & travel.....

Message 9 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@L-TWT wrote:

@Iamien wrote:

IMO, Cap1 QuickSilver provides the best overall cash back. Their rewards structure is very simple and reward redemption is like the "Burger King" slogan.....you can have it your own way! This has become my goto CC 4 everything, from everyday expenses, bills & travel.....

The simplicity and redemption is very nice and at 1.5% is a good default card (use if there isn't a card for that category).  I use the Fidelity Amex as my usual default, because of the 2%, switching to Cap One when abroad or where Amex is not accepted.  But if you are willing to have several cards, it's worth having 5% cards (or similar) for your heavy categories.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.