cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to APP SPREE my NEW/OLD credit portfollio (credit cards) and improve credit score.

tag
MidnightJester
Frequent Contributor

Looking to APP SPREE my NEW/OLD credit portfollio (credit cards) and improve credit score.

Hi guys and girls,

First time here posting but been reading for a little while. Little about me. Screwed up credit in my 20's now in late 30's and credit file is clean. Average age is about 16 months with one account. no derogs, Have a Long fallen off judgement from ford 10plus years ago that I never paid but as I said it has fallen off.

I am from NY. have reported to them 85,000 income,

only 1 card DIscover $7500 limit now (orig500 card almost year and half ago. then to 3000 then to 7500 last month) have only 1 credit pull at most on all.

TU discover 771 score, Equifax paid pull 725 looking to add a few cards as discover says I dont have enough accounts on score review.

Thinking of applying for the barclay Ring 8% apr card and some other card. I am  not into annual fees currently "just offered amex gold rewards for $175 with 50.000 bonus". Was looking for banks that do mostly soft pulls for CLI. I am thinking Citibank it seems does that to pair or should I go Chase.

How would you suggest I go about it. just apply at once for them both or go through the phone reps. I am trying to spread my pulls across the board and it seems baarclays  likes TU in New york more. Thanks ahead for the advice

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MidnightJester
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking to expand my NEW/OLD credit portfollio (credit cards) and improve credit score. Need hel

It seems going online first allows you the best options, You get to both get approved for some credit limt then call in to get it possibliy raised again. Hopfully without a second credit pull. How have you guys seen the call ins to get a limit raise right affter getting the card or after a denial. Does the call in usually result in only a soft pull.

Message 2 of 11
MidnightJester
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking to expand my NEW/OLD credit portfollio (credit cards) and improve credit score. Need hel

What is everyones opinion of being approved for the Barclays Ring card. 725(EQ) 771(TU Discover) Average age of a year and half. only 1 credit pull on file for EQ & TU. EX has no pulls

Only card is Discover IT($7500limit) currently. Thanks

Message 3 of 11
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@MidnightJester wrote:

What is everyones opinion of being approved for the Barclays Ring card. 725(EQ) 771(TU Discover) Average age of a year and half. only 1 credit pull on file for EQ & TU. EX has no pulls

Only card is Discover IT($7500limit) currently. Thanks

You should be a shoe-in for approval. However, I don't understand what you see in that card. You might consider the Sallie Mae card which is also offered by Barclay.

https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

Choose cards based on their rewards, not based on the company. See this for a list of suggestions, then please ask any questions before applying:

http://boardingarea.com/frequentmiler/2012/11/09/best-category-bonuses/comment-page-3/#comment-39437...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 11
MidnightJester
Frequent Contributor

The reason I was most interested in the Ring card was mostly due to the 8% interest. Seems like the easier way then some of ther other cards who dont as easily give you the lowest apr%. I also like the abilty to take cash as easily as charging with the full value as a cash withdrawal without large fees. I will look at the sallie card though. Still trying to decide which other card to apply for. Mostly likley going to APP for 2 cards at once maybe 3 depends on how first 2 go.

Thanks for the rewards list is is very helpfull to see the cards compared to each other.

Message 5 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

don't look for credit cards from any issuer for cash! (my opnion)

I also wouldn't get the ring... sallie mae would be more my pick too.

citi rewards are not that good

if you got offer for Amex Gold Charge I would consider the new everyday or a blue cash as they do CLI at 61 days and every 6 months after on SP like you want.

something comenity backed could be great for SP approvals and CLI's (Virgin America, Vita Cost, Total Rewards, etc.)

Message 6 of 11
MidnightJester
Frequent Contributor

The cash draw is very attractive to me as I am on the threashold of lauching a business. " in the worst of not getting a business loan the card would rock it seems" at a fair intrest rate to to carry a balance it it realy is 8% always

I am considering some of those amex cards you mentioned now. What is the general opinion of the True earnings card(I am a costco member) compared to the other BLUE AMEX and AMEX EVERYDAY cards?

Can I ask what makes the Barclays Ring card unatractive to you guys? and what makes the Sallie Barclays better? I am waiting on my Discover CLI to report before applying so I have a few weeks to decide where to go with myn APPS. IT seems looking at my EQ pulled reports the months of my CLI are blank on the reports and the month after reports the new Credit llimit.

Been letting my mind wonder looking at the cards as I decide on my next cards. the CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERED is nice. the $95fee otherwise.

Message 7 of 11
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@MidnightJester wrote:

I am considering some of those amex cards you mentioned now. What is the general opinion of the True earnings card(I am a costco member) compared to the other BLUE AMEX and AMEX EVERYDAY cards?

Can I ask what makes the Barclays Ring card unatractive to you guys? and what makes the Sallie Barclays better? I am waiting on my Discover CLI to report before applying so I have a few weeks to decide where to go with myn APPS. IT seems looking at my EQ pulled reports the months of my CLI are blank on the reports and the month after reports the new Credit llimit.

Been letting my mind wonder looking at the cards as I decide on my next cards. the CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERED is nice. the $95fee otherwise.

i can sort of answer first and second question. I have BCP and True Earnings. True earnings only really gets used for restaurants because you get 2% there, also i believe travel gets 2% as well. 

As far as why is people like sallie mae better than ring. For me personally sallie mae you get 5% on gas, groceries with 250 max per month, and 5 % on amazon with 750 cap each month is an lot better than ring which is basically an BT card from what i can tell. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@MidnightJester wrote:

The cash draw is very attractive to me as I am on the threashold of lauching a business. " in the worst of not getting a business loan the card would rock it seems" at a fair intrest rate to to carry a balance it it realy is 8% always

Costco Amex is GREAT and even easier to get it seems to blue and everyday.

Ring dislike... REWARDS... If I carry balances it's usually on 0% not a revolving every day card so I don't look at cards for low long term APR's

if you have good credit and need business stuff and can't get a flat out line of credit... credit cards would be easy (Costco Amex business). Citi, BofA, Chase but they seem to be a real interview to get in... and all these won't report to your personal credit if you are carrying a balance and many are 0% on purchases for a while (Bofa I think is longest.

barclay actually has some business cards too

Message 9 of 11
MidnightJester
Frequent Contributor

Would like to update while I wait for credit reporting files to update recent CLI with Discover which they are lacking on this month. I am now considering some annual fee cards. could go with either or both AMEX BLUE CASH (preffered maybe) and CHASE SAPPHIRE (prefered maybe) for the 40,000 bonus which I could use this or next year. Both annual fees together 95+75 are less then the AMEX GOLD cards 175 AF. I get 2 credit lines and close to the same bonus as the gold amex with the chase sapphire preffered. Those 2 are going to be paired with the barclays ring or sallie mae barclay. for a 3 card spree

If I was also thinking of adding the Sportsman guide visa via a SP auto approval pop up. Would I be better to add it "now" before I do my 3 card app spree at end of month or beginning of june. or should I wait till after AMEX,CHASE,BARCLAYS app spree then add the SP sportsman visa card after

EQ (725) 1 HP,  TU discover (770) 1HP,  EX (???) no pulls

only 1 curret credit card DISCOVER IT $7500 (14 months AgeofAccounts), no loans

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.