cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to add CSP to my portfolio, do I even qualify?

tag
Youngcredit23
New Contributor

Looking to add CSP to my portfolio, do I even qualify?

I'm approaching 7 months of my credit journey, and so far I have two cards, the American Express Blue Cash Everyday($2,300CL) and the Chase Freedom($500CL). I was looking to add one more card to my portfolio for a total of three cards, until I'm finished with college, on with my real career, and making decent money.

I was looking to add the Chase Shappire Preferred, but through some research, looks like I won't be qualified for this card where I stand now.

-I'm 18, working part time and going to school so my yearly salary with taxes taken out is $6,100.

-I have two revolving accounts, the Chase Freedom that's been open for 6 months and the Amex BCE that's been open for 1 month.

-EXP Fico of 730, Utilization is 0% at the moment, 2 inquiries.

What do you guys think? Any other info you guys need from me to better address the question?

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
MrCollector
Regular Contributor

Re: Looking to add CSP to my portfolio, do I even qualify?

@Youngcredit23 wrote:

I'm approaching 7 months of my credit journey, and so far I have two cards, the American Express Blue Cash Everyday($2,300CL) and the Chase Freedom($500CL). I was looking to add one more card to my portfolio for a total of three cards, until I'm finished with college, on with my real career, and making decent money.

I was looking to add the Chase Shappire Preferred, but through some research, looks like I won't be qualified for this card where I stand now.

-I'm 18, working part time and going to school so my yearly salary with taxes taken out is $6,100.

-I have two revolving accounts, the Chase Freedom that's been open for 6 months and the Amex BCE that's been open for 1 month.

-EXP Fico of 730, Utilization is 0% at the moment, 2 inquiries.

What do you guys think? Any other info you guys need from me to better address the question?

Doubt they will give you a card that has a min $5K limit with $6.1K income. Give it some time before you apply.

760 (TU) 755 (EX) 740 (EQ)

Chase Sapphire Reserve | Hilton Aspire | Amex EveryDay | World of Hyatt | Aviator Red | AAdvantage Platinum Select | Citi Premier | United Mileage Plus | Discover It
Message 2 of 31
CF_Frost
New Contributor

Income, limits, and history could be your downfall here. 3X the Amex when eligible but the income and history would still trouble an analyst IMO. Doesn't hurt that you'll have a history with Chase though. Be patient.
Message 3 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

you also want to give your full income pre-tax if you ask me... I usually say income of at least $12k a year if applying for bigger cards like CSP.

I would also do your 3x cli requerst with Amex if the $2300 was your starting limit.

For chase, I would check the pre-qual online and not cold apply for that card right now if you don't have an offer.

Consider adding the Discover it now.

Message 4 of 31
fot1
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

you also want to give your full income pre-tax if you ask me... I usually say income of at least $12k a year if applying for bigger cards like CSP.

I would also do your 3x cli requerst with Amex if the $2300 was your starting limit.

For chase, I would check the pre-qual online and not cold apply for that card right now if you don't have an offer.

Why add the Discover IT card when op has the Freedom card? They are so similair.  OP I don't think you could get the CSP at your income and credit lenght.. I f you want to add another card look at  maybe adding the Quicksilver card now or Sallie Mae card in 6 months..

Too many to list..
Message 5 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@fot1 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Why add the Discover IT card when op has the Freedom card? They are so similair.  OP I don't think you could get the CSP at your income and credit lenght.. I f you want to add another card look at  maybe adding the Quicksilver card now or Sallie Mae card in 6 months..

good bank to build relationship with.

good rewards that are similar to freedom if you max them out.

I to like the suggestion of getting Sallie Mae!

Message 6 of 31
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

i gotta agree with CA, go for either Sallie Mae adn/or Discover.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 7 of 31
Youngcredit23
New Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

When the ask for income on applications, are they asking for pre-tax? I've assumed on both applications for the Freedom and BCE that they were asking for post-tax income.

I'm also hesitant to ask for the 3X CLI on my BCE. I recently just read on a thread that Amex revolvers like to cap of at 40% of your given income. If that's the case, my current $2,300 CL is pretty close to 40% of my income.

No prequalifieds on the Chase right now so looks like I need to be patient. Thanks!

Message 8 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Youngcredit23 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

When the ask for income on applications, are they asking for pre-tax? I've assumed on both applications for the Freedom and BCE that they were asking for post-tax income.

I'm also hesitant to ask for the 3X CLI on my BCE. I recently just read on a thread that Amex revolvers like to cap of at 40% of your given income. If that's the case, my current $2,300 CL is pretty close to 40% of my income.

No prequalifieds on the Chase right now so looks like I need to be patient. Thanks!

the amex computer is something amazing and if they cap at 40% then let them tell you what that is in an instant counter when you apply for the CLI (it's always sp!)

Message 9 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Youngcredit23 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

the amex computer is something amazing and if they cap at 40% then let them tell you what that is in an instant counter when you apply for the CLI (it's always sp!)

and income questions are usually GROSS which is pre-tax.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.