Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to get first amex

tag
Scott90
Contributor

Looking to get first amex

Looking for advice for my first Amex. I have excellent credit, ~800 score. I'm in a position where I am only wanting one to kill two birds with one stone (have an "Amex" and reach a desired limit). I'm not interested in cars with annual fees, although I am military so can get it waived. What would you do? The 6% cash back on groceries doesn't appeal to me at all because the commissary (where I do all my grocery shopping) isn't coded as grocery store. Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking to get first amex

Try the Amex ED card.
Message 2 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

What other critieria do you have?  You have to provide us with the details to help narrow down the options.  It's all about finding what suits you best.  What other major spend categories do you have?  Are there any features and benefits that you need/want?

Why are you selecting a creditor first and then trying to justify a card?  Select individual products that suit you.

Message 3 of 4
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

What other critieria do you have?  You have to provide us with the details to help narrow down the options.  It's all about finding what suits you best.  What other major spend categories do you have?  Are there any features and benefits that you need/want?

Why are you selecting a creditor first and then trying to justify a card?  Select individual products that suit you.

This is sound advice. I know people want "in with Amex" or "in with whoever" but the point is that you should select a product you want, not trying to justify a card just because you want to be "in" with a lender.

Who cares if you are "in with Amex" if none of the products suit your needs?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.