Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to join a CU

tag
goodgirl-badcredit
Frequent Contributor

Looking to join a CU

I live in GA and i am looking to join a credit union.

I want to join a credit union so that once i get approved for the membership they use that same credit report to approve me for a credit card. And just in case i dont get approved for a regular credit card i want a secured card....Any suggestions??? EQ 606 5 baddies all over 3 years old

Thanks

Starting Score: 3/21 EQ 636 TU 669
Current Score: 12/30 EQ 740 TU 712 EX ??? ....
Goal Score: Yay... I reached my goal of 700!!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
goodgirl-badcredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking to join a CU

Bump

Starting Score: 3/21 EQ 636 TU 669
Current Score: 12/30 EQ 740 TU 712 EX ??? ....
Goal Score: Yay... I reached my goal of 700!!!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

First suggestion might be to look locally.

After that:  Addison Avenue is a great CU, with secured card, and anyone can join by joining Financial Fitness Assocation for $5.

If you qualify for membership, NFCU is a great CU, the best for those building credit, has secured cards.

Other options:  Not a CU, but BoA and Orchard have secured cards.

Message 3 of 6
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Hey,

I don't live in Georgia so can't offer any insight on local CUs, but I would imagine you are going to have a hard time obtaining credit from any CU at all. Your scores are pretty low. How serious are your baddies? 3 years ago for 30 day lates isn't that big of a deal. 3 years ago for serious derogs is going to hurt you more. What is your util? Every CU is different on if they have secured cards. I know most of the local CUs here in KY do not offer secured products. 

Hopefully someone else has more knowledge of that area, but you will struggle to be granted credit.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Message 4 of 6
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

I also live in GA and recommend Alliant CU.  Although it's in Chicago, I have had no problems. 

Not sure what their requirements are but they offer good returns on savings, moderate to low interest rates on loans, etc., a Visa Rewards card and excellent CS.

Your initial credit pull will be good for 30 days if you want to apply for any of their credit products.  Some members have gotten initial offers when they applied but I had to wait.

My scores were a little higher than yours but if you can get in, they are a great CU (IMHO).

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Itsmeagain wrote:

I also live in GA and recommend Alliant CU.  Although it's in Chicago, I have had no problems. 

Not sure what their requirements are but they offer good returns on savings, moderate to low interest rates on loans, etc., a Visa Rewards card and excellent CS.

Your initial credit pull will be good for 30 days if you want to apply for any of their credit products.  Some members have gotten initial offers when they applied but I had to wait.

My scores were a little higher than yours but if you can get in, they are a great CU (IMHO).

Unless something has changed very recently, Alliant does NOT offer secured credit cards.  They do offer secured personal loans.

ALSO:  due to your scores being low and/or rebuilding, this is a good reason to go local where you can sit down and talk to somebody face to face and possibly explain circumstances and long term goals.  They may only be willing to open a savings account.  Be sure to put direct deposit to them if possibly can. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.