Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing Faith in Amex Chat...

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Losing Faith in Amex Chat...

@TrulyyBlessed wrote:

Amex chat has been great, except for maybe my last two chats. I can only assume, but it seemed like English was not the representatives' first language. I thought Amex had U.S. based customer service reps., but maybe that has recently changed.

If you are talking about phone CSR then i think you need to have their top of the line cards like Platinum, I have had BCE and EDP and i have gotten sent to India every single time, and their service has been pretty god awful. The biggest problem i have is how uninformed they are. Having two different supervisors telling me two different things is what is most annoying. In my personal experience Discover, chase, citi and barclays have all provided better service, but YMMV

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 11 of 22
knhorn
Contributor

In my personal experience Discover, chase, citi and barclays have all provided better service, but YMMV

Yep. I've always thought AMEX was overrated. They are in a steady decline.

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, Im coming across more and more places that used to take amex that no longer do. For a while Ive been wondering if thats going to be a normal thing in the future. 

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, Im coming across more and more places that used to take amex that no longer do. For a while Ive been wondering if thats going to be a normal thing in the future. 

The only place that hasn't taken Amex that I've run across since I got my first card in October has been my apartment complex. Not sure if its bc majority of my spending is done online but even on the rare occasions that I have to swipe the card somewhere still haven't run into a place that doesn't accept it. Maybe it depends on where you live? I'm in Northern California.

Message 14 of 22
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Eh I don't think Amex is that great in general. I'm sorry about your experience, Heavenly. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

Eh I don't think Amex is that great in general. I'm sorry about your experience, Heavenly. 

Smiley Happy Its ok. Can't win with every lender. Diversification is key sometimes. At least I like my cards!

Message 16 of 22
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

Smiley Happy Its ok. Can't win with every lender. Diversification is key sometimes. At least I like my cards!

As do I. Couldn't be happier with what I have now. 

A Fidelity Amex would be nice though but that's another story.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 17 of 22
Involver
Valued Contributor

Only keeping Amex for account age these days. Their customer experience has lagged far behind several other lenders and their card offerings leave much to be desired. Citi and Chase are well ahead.
Message 18 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

I'm dissatisfied with Amex. Been with them 10 months, can't get a CLI, can't get any of the other Amex cards that would better suit my needs than the ones I have, can't even do a balance transfer. I'm basically done asking them for anything, and I'm using their cards less than my other other cards.

They've lost Jet Blue as a partner, and I can see why.

One of my cards is the Jet Blue Amex, so it will be interesting to see if they lift a finger to offer me anything nice to replace that card when Jet Blue goes over to Barclays next year.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thebeckerman wrote:

I'm dissatisfied with Amex. Been with them 10 months, can't get a CLI, can't get any of the other Amex cards that would better suit my needs than the ones I have, can't even do a balance transfer. I'm basically done asking them for anything, and I'm using their cards less than my other other cards.

They've lost Jet Blue as a partner, and I can see why.

One of my cards is the Jet Blue Amex, so it will be interesting to see if they lift a finger to offer me anything nice to replace that card when Jet Blue goes over to Barclays next year.

I agree. Amex does seem to be getting worse. Chase just gave me a credit increase so my amex card will be used less and less

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.