Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost My Sam's MC Today 😞

tag
securingourfuture
Established Contributor

Lost My Sam's MC Today 😞

I was shopping in Sam's Club today. When I walked in, the clerk wanted to see my membership card (which is my credit card). I showed her and got distracted by my kids, so I stuck it in my pocket. About 30 minutes later, my card fell out of my pocket. Sigh. I was able to get a temporary membership card, and I reported my credit card lost immediately. I was so annoyed.

8/22/18: BK7 filed EXP 490 TU 430 EQ 429
11/28/18: BK7 discharged EXP 586 TU 578 EQ 527
06/08/21: EXP 656 TU 643 EQ 701
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lost My Sam's MC Today 😞

Let us know how it reports when its replaced. That always irritated me. Any time I lost my sams PLCC, it would show on credit karma as stolen, then a new line would open up. So it shows like 4 or 5 sams accounts not including my new mastercard.

Message 2 of 13
securingourfuture
Established Contributor

I will definitely let everyone know.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear that, it's been one of my biggest fears, I hate breaking down my wallet and carrying only what I need for that day, for some reason I end up with them in jacket or pants pockets, the cup holder in my truck, or worse the kids are running around the house with them. Hopefully it doesn't report new.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tamaralig wrote:

Sorry to hear that, it's been one of my biggest fears, I hate breaking down my wallet and carrying only what I need for that day, for some reason I end up with them in jacket or pants pockets, the cup holder in my truck, or worse the kids are running around the house with them. Hopefully it doesn't report new.

Paging UncleB

we had discussed this previously I believe, I can't remember what the general concensus was, but just that it was an annoyance more than anything, I dunno I have had so many new cards knowing if it hurt my aaoa or not I wouldnt be able to tell.  They all show up with the same open date.

Message 5 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@tamaralig wrote:

Paging UncleB

we had discussed this previously I believe, I can't remember what the general concensus was, but just that it was an annoyance more than anything, I dunno I have had so many new cards knowing if it hurt my aaoa or not I wouldnt be able to tell.  They all show up with the same open date.

Here I am!  Smiley Very Happy

I agree there was a thread earlier on this, but I don't recall if there was ever a consensus, either.  I think there were a lot of people (like us) who were wondering about it, and felt rather strongly that a lost card shouldn't result in a new account, but there was never any definitive info on the thread (that I can remember).

I think it's fairly expected with Synchrony for an upgraded card to almost always show up as a new account - we can put that much to rest - but I don't recall anybody at the time having experience with how lost cards are handled by Synchrony. 

Hopefully the OP in this case will help us out by letting us know how it turns out for him/her... hopefully Synchrony will do the 'right thing' and the replacement account will reflect the history of the previous one, like almost every other lender does.  <fingers crossed>

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad you caught it before any fraudulent charges could post to your account. Best of luck!
Message 7 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

When I got my Walmart card 3 years ago they had a typo and sent it to the wrong address. They closed that card, and sent me a new one with a new number. That first card since then has always reported as a different closed account with no history.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 13
ddemari
Super Contributor

when fraud happened on my Banana republic visa, synch closed out the card. they sent me a new card and transfered the balance I had on my old card to the new card. they reported to card lost or stolen and closed. but when they went to report the new card they used the original open date on my credit report its just listed as a new item. 

Message 9 of 13
securingourfuture
Established Contributor

OP here:

Experian alerted me today of the closed card in my file. Both the balance and the limit are removed from my profile like any other closed card. The rep I spoke to when I closed the card said everything should be transferred to the new card. I assumed the card will report the same info as the original card.

I will keep you all posted.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.