Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost credit card in UK, fraudulent charges

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lost credit card in UK, fraudulent charges

Hi guys.

I'm in England right now and lost my wallet with credit card and ID on one of the shopping streets in Manchester. Somebody used it make a purchase at a store worth $450. I called Capital One, my credit card company, as soon as I noticed that my wallet was gone but the fraudulent charges had already been made. They cancelled my card and are sending me a new one. Apparently nothing can be disputed untilt the charges post. 

I would like to know what my financial liabilities in this case are? Capital One has 0% fraud liablity but I don't know if that applies while you're overseas and for fraudulent transactions made overseas? Does anyone have experience with this? I had to get off the phone with Capital one quickly because I had to use my cell phone to make the call and roaming charges are through the roof.

Thanks,

Matt

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lost credit card in UK, fraudulent charges

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys.

I'm in England right now and lost my wallet with credit card and ID on one of the shopping streets in Manchester. Somebody used it make a purchase at a store worth $450. I called Capital One, my credit card company, as soon as I noticed that my wallet was gone but the fraudulent charges had already been made. They cancelled my card and are sending me a new one. Apparently nothing can be disputed untilt the charges post. 

I would like to know what my financial liabilities in this case are? Capital One has 0% fraud liablity but I don't know if that applies while you're overseas and for fraudulent transactions made overseas? Does anyone have experience with this? I had to get off the phone with Capital one quickly because I had to use my cell phone to make the call and roaming charges are through the roof.

Thanks,

Matt

Yes you are covered.  Just make sure that you dispute them as soon as they post.  Additionally you should file a police report if you haven't already.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 4
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys.

Thanks,

Matt

You'll be fine.  I was in England years ago with a friend who lost his wallet (we were in Brighton) so I understand what you're going through.

As long as you report the card lost/stolen in a reasonable amount of time - which you have - you won't be liable.  The CSR you spoke with is correct - they can't do anything about the charge until it completely posts (since not all authorizations turn into a charge, although this one almost certainly will).  Once it posts they can go about having it credited back to your account while they investigate it, which is nearly guaranteed to turn out in your favor (again, you did your part).

I'll just add that if you need to call Capital One back, call them collect at 01-804-934-2001 - you can even use a pay phone.  That way the call is 'on them' and you don't have to worry about using your minutes.

I know this is stressful, but try to enjoy the rest of your trip.  You mention your ID was lost as well... if it was only your DL you should be fine until you get back since you have your passport.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help guys!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.