Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my CC Statement at the DMV T_T

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Lost my CC Statement at the DMV T_T

Hey guys...so in the excitement of getting my brand, spanking new horizontal license for my birthday (not to mention my license was going to expire by the 31st anyways), I must have left my Freedom CC Statement in my 6-point identification folder in the waiting chair next to me at the DMV :/ Luckily I have everything else, and the license renewel form was submitted to the teller so my SSN is safe.

I believe the Chase statements have the full account number on them, along with my full name and address, however the expiration date and 3-digit security number shouldn't be on there. Do I have a cause to worry? I'm hoping a good person finds it and just hands it in so that they can either a.) contact me or b.) shred it.

Anyone ever have their information compromised due to a lost statement? Should I call it in, or just keep checking my Chase account and my credit reports for anything fishy? Thanks everybody!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Re: Lost my CC Statement at the DMV T_T

I would report the card lost and request a new one. It's just a sensible precaution.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 2 of 10
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

Call the Customer Service Representative with the number on the back of your credit card and explain what happen.

Message 3 of 10
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

I would report the card lost and request a new one. It's just a sensible precaution.

I don't know if I would report the card lost, since I have the card. Just my statement is missing in a public place XD but I agree with the other poster, I'll let them know of the situation. I just set up text alerts to keep track of any purchases on my account!

Message 4 of 10
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Yes, Chase credit card statements do show the entire account number. Just curious, why aren't you signed up for paperless statements? Smiley Indifferent

Message 5 of 10
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

Yes, Chase credit card statements do show the entire account number. Just curious, why aren't you signed up for paperless statements? Smiley Indifferent

I like having paper copies of all my statements Smiley Happy every 2 years I shred and recycle them. Certain statements I have paperless for benefits, such as DCU and such. And, I always have them when I need them, because with my luck in trying to print them out last minute, the website would be down, my printer won't be working, etc. Also mailed statements don't get scrutinized as harshly when using them at DMV or for other verifications, since they're less likely to be edited/tampered with.

Message 6 of 10
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@kevinjjc wrote:

I like having paper copies of all my statements Smiley Happy every 2 years I shred and recycle them. Certain statements I have paperless for benefits, such as DCU and such. And, I always have them when I need them, because with my luck in trying to print them out last minute, the website would be down, my printer won't be working, etc. Also mailed statements don't get scrutinized as harshly when using them at DMV or for other verifications, since they're less likely to be edited/tampered with.

I guess it just depends on your personal preference, but I think you should reconsider this practice. If you ever need the hard copies, you could just request them.

Message 7 of 10
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@kevinjjc wrote:

I guess it just depends on your personal preference, but I think you should reconsider this practice. If you ever need the hard copies, you could just request them.

No, I understand. I have never had an issue with paper statements and I never just dump them in the trash, always shredded and recycled! Either way, I could have easily lost a print-out of my electronic statement at the DMV, which has the same information on it! XD Now, if a statement was stolen out of my mailbox, then THAT would be a definite cause for switching everything completely over to paperless!

Message 8 of 10
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Banks still give paper statements? Whats!? Lol
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 9 of 10
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

Most companies I've seen have like a $5 fee for each archived statement.

I wouldn't do anything. I have never seen a website where you give the card  number without the three digit code. I think the Chase statements have numbers near the account number so it may not be clear to another person.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.