Valued Member
hstone

Lost or stolen card

Why would a lost or stolen card hurt your credit?  If the payments are not late why does it matter?  I just don't understand why this would have a negative impact on your credit score.  Does anyone no how much of an impact this mark has?

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Re: Lost or stolen card

Are you sure that it does? My 19-year-old has one listed as one of her accounts, along with the current active replacement card, but none of the three FICO scores and reports mention it as being a negative.

They just note its existence on the accounts page.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Moderator Emeritus
fused

Re: Lost or stolen card

hstone wrote:
Why would a lost or stolen card hurt your credit?  If the payments are not late why does it matter?  I just don't understand why this would have a negative impact on your credit score.  Does anyone no how much of an impact this mark has?

Having a notation on one account as stolen/lost in and of itself will not have any negative affect on your scores. My only concern is that when the CCC replaces the stolen/lost CC with a new account number, that they report this new account number as having an open date from the time the original card was opened and not today's date. If the CCC doesn't do it this way, your credit file will re-age and your scores would then take a hit.
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (11-08-2014): EQ 818, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}