Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lounge access dress code

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lounge access dress code

I really appreicate your responses guys!

Just wondering if I would be charged for a quick Scotch before I board Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 36
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Exclusive isn't exclusive anymore so long as you can afford it. Smiley Wink

True, but money can't buy taste (or class for the matter).

Several years ago when the mining boom was in full swing, you had people with no education dropping out of high school to wave stop/go flags on minesites making 80-100k. Simple labourers would be on 125k+.

I cannot begin to tell you the kinds of creatures that created around here.

Reminds me of a banquet in Singapore with some newly minted rural Chinese Billionaires (from the coal boom) donning Brioni Suits with tags still attached to the sleeve, flashing diamond rolex watches with every gesture, and sipping XO cognac on the rocks.  

Message 22 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Exclusive isn't exclusive anymore so long as you can afford it. Smiley Wink

True, but money can't buy taste (or class for the matter).

Several years ago when the mining boom was in full swing, you had people with no education dropping out of high school to wave stop/go flags on minesites making 80-100k. Simple labourers would be on 125k+.

I cannot begin to tell you the kinds of creatures that created around here.

Reminds me of a banquet in Singapore with some newly minted rural Chinese Billionaires (from the coal boom) donning Brioni Suits with tags still attached to the sleeve, flashing diamond rolex watches with every gesture, and sipping XO cognac on the rocks.  

Right.  No class or style, but.... they still win with their billions!

Message 23 of 36
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

They were actually very nice people, but just grew up with a different sense of "etiquette."  These moments have always been awkward for me.  I've tried to suggest aged cognac is best without ice, but you get the, "I like it with ice!"  

Message 24 of 36
red259
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

They were actually very nice people, but just grew up with a different sense of "etiquette."  These moments have always been awkward for me.  I've tried to suggest aged cognac is best without ice, but you get the, "I like it with ice!"  

+1 People from mainland China get a bad reputation when they travel. Of course, there is a good reason for it in some cases. That being said when it comes to their "etiquette" there are very specific historical reasons for that. In terms of the ice thing I think you would probably run in to people doing and saying the same thing in America. Some people just really like their ice. They tend to be extremely nice and kind people in my experience. I can't tell you the number of times I got lost in China and random people would take ltime out of their day (sometimes a fair amount of time) to get me where I needed to go.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 25 of 36
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

+1 People from mainland China get a bad reputation when they travel. Of course, there is a good reason for it in some cases. That being said when it comes to their "etiquette" there are very specific historical reasons for that. In terms of the ice thing I think you would probably run in to people doing and saying the same thing in America. Some people just really like their ice. They tend to be extremely nice and kind people in my experience. I can't tell you the number of times I got lost in China and random people would take ltime out of their day (sometimes a fair amount of time) to get me where I needed to go.  

Hell, if you got the money to pay for something, enjoy it however you like. 

I'll take a nice beer over a glass of XO cognac any day of the week. (Note: by nice beer I mean nice beer, not bud light xD ). It's just the way I am. Doesn't mean I can't afford a glass of XO. I just don't like it. 

Message 26 of 36
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Most, if not all, lounges will let anyone with a pass/membership/ticket in with no heed to their outfit -- although some lounges are a little more reluctant. 

I usually travel in a t-shirt, an big cozy sweater, and my baggy boyfriend jeans looking comfortably schlumpy.  With a long layover at ICN, I made my way to the Asiana lounge wanting a shower and nap.  When I walked up to the counter, the two ladies immediately informed me that the lounge was for first class ticket holders or platinum members only.  To which I replied, "Yup, that's me." 

Message 27 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've always hated the "business casual" descriptor, since it means something different to everyboby. On the formal side, it can mean that you are wearing a suit, but removed your tie (legal business casual). On the more casual side, business casual for an engineer generally means that there aren't too many rips and oil stains on your shorts and t-shirt. 

Even the same industry, it means different things. At one company I interviewed at, "business casual" was slacks and a dress shirt. The next one I interviewed at, it meant jeans and a polo.

Message 28 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 29 of 36
Open123
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Hell, if you got the money to pay for something, enjoy it however you like. 

I'll take a nice beer over a glass of XO cognac any day of the week. (Note: by nice beer I mean nice beer, not bud light xD ). It's just the way I am. Doesn't mean I can't afford a glass of XO. I just don't like it. 

LOL...this cracked me up.

When I was younger (University days), I couldn't stand Brandy, or spirits of any kind, for that matter.  Some of this stuff will grow on you.  I never used to believe the "acquired taste" cliche, until it happened to me.  While I still eschew most hard liquor, I have grown to like very much good Brandies and Peaty single malts.

Not suggesting you should like it, but give it try every year.  And one day, you may be surprised!

Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.