Valued Contributor
MsLadyRover

Love AMEX Fraud Protection

I was purchasing some custom golf clubs online for my hubby's birthday and was attempting to pay with my AMEX through paypal.  Purchase was DECLINED and I was confused.  Thought they had shut me down for a FR.

So I pulled up my account and saw that they had placed a fraud alert on my account.  So I called the number, answered a couple of security questions, and confirmed I was trying to make the purchase with Paypal.  Gotta love the protection.  I'm just glad I was home online and not in the store because I would have been so embarrassed had the card been declined. LOL.

She took the fraud alert off and told me I could make the purchase now.  I did just that and it went through fine.  Keep up the good work AMEX!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 699 (myFICO) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
bs6054

Re: Love AMEX Fraud Protection

MsLadyRover wrote:

I was purchasing some custom golf clubs online for my hubby's birthday and was attempting to pay with my AMEX through paypal.  Purchase was DECLINED and I was confused.  Thought they had shut me down for a FR.

So I pulled up my account and saw that they had placed a fraud alert on my account.  So I called the number, answered a couple of security questions, and confirmed I was trying to make the purchase with Paypal.  Gotta love the protection.  I'm just glad I was home online and not in the store because I would have been so embarrassed had the card been declined. LOL.

She took the fraud alert off and told me I could make the purchase now.  I did just that and it went through fine.  Keep up the good work AMEX!

Fine, but let us keep Amex love at appropriate levels.  AFAIK, EVERY single issuer does this.  I've had it from Cap One, Chase, Citi at least.

Valued Contributor
MsLadyRover

SMH.

Frequent Contributor
jake619

I think the point is she was protected. In this case Amex was credited. I don't think this is over the top Amex love.

GangnamFICO wrote:

Because the chicks dig it when I throw down the card to the waiter and...it comes in handy if I'm short on cash until payday and need a short spot. AMEX gets the booty, and that's important when you're a Pirate.

Minor vulgarity edit --Rev

Valued Contributor
navigatethis12

To me it's more of an annoyance when this happens, than an appreciation of protection.

Valued Contributor
MsLadyRover

Thanks jake619. That's exactly what I was expressing.

Valued Contributor
bs6054

jake619 wrote:
I think the point is she was protected. In this case Amex was credited. I don't think this is over the top Amex love.

OK, but I was reacting to the title "Love AMEX Fraud Protection"

So can I post "Love Capital One's No Interest purchase!!!!"?  "I bought lots of things on my Cap One card, starting on Nov 2, I got the statement Nov 25, and paid in full Dec 15.  I didn't pay a penny in interest, that's over 45 days interest free for my first purchase.  Gotta love Cap One"!

But of course this is Amex so it's different....

Valued Contributor
MsLadyRover

navigatethis12 wrote:

To me it's more of an annoyance when this happens, than an appreciation of protection.

I can understand that.  At the wrong time, it can be quite an inconvenience.  I'm sure I would have been very annoyed had I been in the store and it happened.
But it's nice to know that they are looking out for ya.

Valued Contributor
MsLadyRover

bs6054 wrote:

jake619 wrote:

OK, but I was reacting to the title "Love AMEX Fraud Protection"

So can I post "Love Capital One's No Interest purchase!!!!"?  "I bought lots of things on my Cap One card, starting on Nov 2, I got the statement Nov 25, and paid in full Dec 15.  I didn't pay a penny in interest, that's over 45 days interest free for my first purchase.  Gotta love Cap One"!

But of course this is Amex so it's different....

Not different at all.  People have said they love Capital One, they love Citibank, they love Discover...it's no different than me loving AMEX. 
I don't see what the big deal is.

Frequent Contributor
jake619

Annoyance comes in degrees. I could argue a fraudulent charge is more annoying than what happened here.

GangnamFICO wrote:

Because the chicks dig it when I throw down the card to the waiter and...it comes in handy if I'm short on cash until payday and need a short spot. AMEX gets the booty, and that's important when you're a Pirate.

Minor vulgarity edit --Rev

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+