Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Love Capital One or not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Love Capital One or not?

I love them for giving me a chance to rebuild and with great limits on both my Platinum and QS1 cards. That and I love the option of having an image card (small, but true).

I hope one day to move to a Venture card, but regardless I'll always keep at least 1 Cap One card in my wallet.

Message 31 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lolla, weird. I got word from 3 diff EO reps and two CSR sups that Venture WILL PC to Venture.
Message 32 of 55
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A lot of myfico members hate(d) Capital One bank. It seems like after they been giving big CL on Ventures and credit limit increases people tend to like them. Do you like them or still hate them?

Ah, I like them. 

Their cards work, has no forex fee, and a robust online platform integrated with deposit accounts.  I've yet to experience the "infamously" bad Cap One CS, since I hardly ever contact them.

Message 33 of 55
sultan33g
Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@sultan33g wrote:

To me they are great for rebuilding. I am thankful for the chance they gave me when I needed it the most. However once I was able to get better credit lines they stood back and sat on their hands. I had to go through hoops to get any sort of respectable CL increase and the best they could do was 2 %. 

That just doesn't cut it for me anymore. I am not wasting a 3X HP for a credit card with a respectable limit when I can just app and get one for 1.

Thanks Capital one for everything you have done but see ya.

Just out of curiosity, do you currently have a Capital One card? If so, which one and with what limit? Also, what are the better lines you speak of? Examples?

I did and tried and tried to get a credit line increase. It started at 300 two years ago and it was at 1300 now. I raised my scores to what you see in my sigs and they gave me a $500 CLI even after a back and forth with the EO for 5 days.

I have an Amex Delta 6000 Limit, Amex Green Card, Amex Simply Cash with a 5000 limit, Discover IT with a 3400, I am an Auth user on a Chase freedome 12,000 limit and Discover it 8,500 limit. To me those are better than my Capital one Quicksilver one card with an 1800 limit with a 30 dollar annual fee. Why should I have to pull teeth to get a half decent limit on a card?

01/14/2015 Scores: EQ: 646 TU:667 EX: 663
03/23/15 Scores: EQ: 716 TU: 778 EX: 721

Goal Scores: 750

Message 34 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@android01 wrote:

I don't see what the problem is with Capital One or any other credit card company. I can't remember the last time I called any company I have credit with for any real complaint/reason. And when I have called, be it Capital One or any other creditor, I've been satisfied with the service I've received. Just because a certain creditor doesn't give me a CLI, or a product change, or combine my limits from more than one account with them doesn't mean they suck at their business.  

THIS....1000000000%

Message 35 of 55
sultan33g
Contributor

For the record I have no hate towards capital one and Im sure most people don't, I just felt that it was time to move on.

Message 36 of 55
robbulous
Regular Contributor

I don't mind Cap One. Their EO has been good to me.

Now I have a $15k Quicksilver One with no annual fee, and an APR of 7.9%.

I've had the account open and healthy for almost 8 years now and it's my oldest open account.

NPSL.................$30,000............$28,000.............$20,500............$28,000............$80,000............$19,000............$21,300..............$20,500
Current FICO Score Across All 3: 770+..... GOAL: 800+ Current Utilization: 5%....... Infiniti Financial Auto Loan at 1.9%
Message 37 of 55
yfan
Valued Contributor

@sultan33g wrote:

I did and tried and tried to get a credit line increase. It started at 300 two years ago and it was at 1300 now. I raised my scores to what you see in my sigs and they gave me a $500 CLI even after a back and forth with the EO for 5 days.

I have an Amex Delta 6000 Limit, Amex Green Card, Amex Simply Cash with a 5000 limit, Discover IT with a 3400, I am an Auth user on a Chase freedome 12,000 limit and Discover it 8,500 limit. To me those are better than my Capital one Quicksilver one card with an 1800 limit with a 30 dollar annual fee. Why should I have to pull teeth to get a half decent limit on a card?

Not going to blame you for that. Capital One does have this habit of giving people a second chance and then clamping down. Not that it happens with everyone - they both gave me a second chance and have grown with me fairly well (my QS Visa is my 3rd highest limit card and on a total basis (I also have a QS Mastercard), Capital One is my second largest CC lender after Amex). But it has to stink for those who they refuse go grow with.

Message 38 of 55
sultan33g
Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@sultan33g wrote:

Not going to blame you for that. Capital One does have this habit of giving people a second chance and then clamping down. Not that it happens with everyone - they both gave me a second chance and have grown with me fairly well (my QS Visa is my 3rd highest limit card and on a total basis (I also have a QS Mastercard), Capital One is my second largest CC lender after Amex). But it has to stink for those who they refuse go grow with.

Ya like I said I am not mad, they gave me the oppurtunity to get my credit going again. Glad you are able to have some good CL's.

Message 39 of 55
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
The problem lies within the transition between a subprime customer to a prime customer.

This right here.

THIS is why many of us dislike them. Even I used them to start my journey. Many of us did. Credit steps is a fantastic program. The rewards program is slick, just works, and super low hassle.

But, when you start raking in the Amex ,citi,chase, Barclay cards and start landing serious limits, Capone does not keep up. You want to stay loyal to them, but they force you out.

I was gone as soon as I laned my first amex. I begged them to drop my annual fee at the end of the year, or upgrade me. No dice. I closed the card and have been giving my non category spend to everyone else at lower cash back. Now I have double Cash. I honestly loved the fact thset they gave me a chance with my first card, I was upset when they showed that they didn't want my money.

To them they treated me like I had no credit history at all and bad credit when to this day I have never been denied a card. I'd like to say I'm a prime customer, but Capone never decided to acknowledge that and upgrade me so that I stayed with them.

To this day I miss my no hassle cash back with no redemption threshold. The purchase eraser was a great idea.

I hope one day they figure out how to be  like a prime lender. They have great cards, mediocre CS, and poor customer market segment transitions. They spend lots of time training good credit customers with credit score tracking, credit steps to build good behavior, a first card, and then leave us rot. They spend money on making prime customers for other lenders.

Get a cap one with credit steps. Get your CLI in 6 months. Apply for another lenders card with your flawless 6 month history, close cap one because you are in prime world.

Its a shame.

Glad to hear you had a good experience getting started with Cap One.

Did you ever outright app for another CapOne card like the Quicksilver or Venture or Venture One? If not, you were doing it wrong. CapOne doesn't seem to grow the starter cards from 3 digit to 5 digit limits, they need you to app like you would app with Chase, Citi, BofA, any other cards when you have an improved history.

If you go back and app for a real CapOne card now, you should see a better card and limit. I'm not saying it is right, but it is the way they seem to work.

Thanks! They were good to me, but its too late.

First, I had a 5 digit limit with them. I started with $300 and got bumped to about $1400.however, after that I got nothing.

I understand what you are getting at. I had a starter product and needed to apply for a better product. But really what are you applying for? I already had  1.5% cash back with a starter card.

Your options are

1. A card with 1.5% cash back and no AF

2. A travel card with 1.25 miles per dollar with no AF.

3. A travel card with AF at 2 points per mile

That's it.

Taking another triple pull to essentially upgrade to a card that I already have seems punitive.

A triple pull to upgrade to a no AF cash back card with the same perrks I already have is ,well, insane.

On top of only offering essentially 2 rewards products, upgrades seem to just remove fees. Hard pulls usually net you card benefits on approval. Capital one pulls just remove fees. 

Their system makes moving through the product line a bad idea. 

Let's say you took their secured card, improved your credit, got their AF card since you really needed to build up about 6 months history to get it, and then after you have better history you apply for the No AF rewards cards ( or venture) that require better scores. You just took  9 hard pulls to get a marginal rewards card.

Furthermore, their concepts on AF is inconsistent. 

The 1.5% cash back card with the AF is the same as the non AF card. The AF is a penalty for not having good enough credit

The 1.25 miles per dollar card with no AF is different as the AF version offers you more miles per dollar.

Capital one is a great starter lender, but If you get caught up trying to upgrade your experience with them since they keep feeding you cards, you won't end up in a good spot. With the possibility of racking up 9 hard pulls in  1-2 years, you end up stuck with them until the HPs fall off so other lenders will even touch you.

Their system, if you stay in it, really damages your report with all the hard pulls.  If you start down the capital one road, its a long one. When you reach the end of the card progression in a year, you have 3 HPs on every report. And a history of high utilization until you reach the end and finally get a passable limit.

The HP fade fast. By the time that year is out most have lost their impact. The first few 3x HP for the starter cards are just the cost of getting in the game, when AMEX, Chase, BofA, Citi would not touch a rebuilding applicant with a 10' pole, so is irrelevant to later arguments.

Which card did you have that was 5 digits? $1,400 is 4 digits?

You're always free to decide on a card, but the arguments about different rewards levels don't add up to a lot of difference in value. To get lucrative points or miles, an AF goes along with that, reducing the value of the points or miles substantially.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to counter the idea that CapOne is any worse than any other CCC at the basic level of CC functions.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 40 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.