Established Contributor
aussiesareforever

Love my local credit union

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to share about the excitment of my local credit union (Auburn University Federal Credit Union). Definitely check them out if you happen to live in Auburn, AL. That is about the only good thing in that town. Unless you like football. But I'll save that for a different forum

Anyways, due to a lot of irresponsible financial decisions, I filed for BK in 2008. I've managed a great credit profile since then (if I can say so myself), paid my bills on time, always pay in full and I have been reluctant to apply for excessive credit. Of course I have a Capital One card- they were the first to give me a second chance although I doubt that I'll get anymore love from them since I'm not keen about calling the executive office.

I applied for and got a card with my credit union on the first of August. They gave me a $6000 credit limit (my highest so far). Better still, the interest rate is fixed at 10.90% and that rate does not change even if one makes a late payment (God forbid that ever happens). The same rate also applies to cash advances. They also allow you to go up to 10 days past your due date before charging a $20 late fee (again that is not going to happen). The best thing for me is that I get 1% cash back on my purchases. I know that doesn't sound like much to many of you but I'm so excited (so excited!) about my first rewards card. Four years post BK. I feel like I've just gotten a second lease to the credit world. Would never have imagined this a few years back.

I'm thankful to everybody for all the help I've gotten on this forum. You guys rock (even though you try to tempt me to app for more cards but so far so good!)

Thanks for all your help and support your local credit union!!!!

Edited for my many grammatical errors.

BK in 2008, after making very stupid financial decisions.

Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($6400) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($10,000)---GEMB CareCredit ($5700) --- AUFCU ($10000)--- Walmart ($5000)

FICO Scores: TU 735 EQ 709 EX 740 (Feb 2013, all pulled by lender)

Established Contributor
Cadillac-XTS

Re: Love my local credit union

Congrats

Frequent Contributor
Mellon

good stuff..congrats

| NFCU Cashrewards $14,000 | NFCU Platinum $12,000 | NFCU Navchk $10,000 | Amex BCE $3,000 | Amex HHonors $1,700 | Chase Freedom $3,300 | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5,000 | BOA 3-2-1 $5,000 | Barclays Apple $4,450 | CapOne Quicksilver $1,000 | OCCU Beaver $5,000 | CITI Diamond Preferred $2,500| Citi TYP $5,000 | GTE FCU $3,000 | | Discover IT $3,500 | Walmart Discover $8,000 | NCSECU $750 | NASA FCU $2,000| Chase Slate $4,000 | Barclays Reward MC $1,500| Best Buy $3,000 | Wells Fargo $3,000 | Chase Amazon $3,000
Established Contributor
gettnthere

WOW, CONGRATS!! Awesome CL too!

On a side note: thats totally awesome you live in Auburn, you and I only live a couple hours away from each other!! Im also a tigers fan. lets hope our season starts picking up and we start winning all of our games:smileywink:

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
jdirilo

Congrats! Huge limit!
I just joined a local credit union (Utah First) & although they werent able to get me a cc, they actually did me a better favor and refinanced my car! I was paying 30% apr, $308 a mo to a buy here pay here place. They refi'd at 12% & 210 a month!! Im over the moon with excitement! They said in 6 mos I can get a cc and i'm meeting with them again to talk about my first mortgage loan! They are amazing and gave me hope for rebuilding!
Frequent Contributor
jdirilo

I should add, 5 other CU's denied me the same day. They were the only ones willing to go over my CR with me in person, and ask me about every single thing. Very understanding, and they repeated "we are all about member relationships. We are your personal banker.",I am very happy with them and closing my WF acct tomorrow!
Established Contributor
aussiesareforever

[ Edited ]

Thanks all :smileyhappy:

And yes to the Tigers winning some games soon. War Eagle!

BK in 2008, after making very stupid financial decisions.

Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($6400) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($10,000)---GEMB CareCredit ($5700) --- AUFCU ($10000)--- Walmart ($5000)

FICO Scores: TU 735 EQ 709 EX 740 (Feb 2013, all pulled by lender)

Established Contributor
lithium78

Congratulations!  Credit unions are fantastic for rebuilding credit.  Good luck on your journey! :-)

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
New Contributor
Lzzybeth

lithium78 wrote:

Congratulations!  Credit unions are fantastic for rebuilding credit.  Good luck on your journey! :-)

+1eleventybillion!

I love my credit union too (University Federal Credit Union in Austin, TX), as they gave me a $5K MasterCard this month. Always talk to your local credit union!! :smileyvery-happy:

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 624
Current Score:Dec 2014: EQ - 740
Goal Score: Across the Board: 720
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
GC Challenge: App Free Since 12/28/2012 and No Apps Until ...
Mega Contributor
LS2982

aussiesareforever wrote:

Just wanted to share about the excitment of my local credit union (Auburn University Federal Credit Union). Definitely check them out if you happen to live in Auburn, AL. That is about the only good thing in that town. Unless you like football. But I'll save that for a different forum

Anyways, due to a lot of irresponsible financial decisions, I filed for BK in 2008. I've managed a great credit profile since then (if I can say so myself), paid my bills on time, always pay in full and I have been reluctant to apply for excessive credit. Of course I have a Capital One card- they were the first to give me a second chance although I doubt that I'll get anymore love from them since I'm not keen about calling the executive office.

I applied for and got a card with my credit union on the first of August. They gave me a $6000 credit limit (my highest so far). Better still, the interest rate is fixed at 10.90% and that rate does not change even if one makes a late payment (God forbid that ever happens). The same rate also applies to cash advances. They also allow you to go up to 10 days past your due date before charging a $20 late fee (again that is not going to happen). The best thing for me is that I get 1% cash back on my purchases. I know that doesn't sound like much to many of you but I'm so excited (so excited!) about my first rewards card. Four years post BK. I feel like I've just gotten a second lease to the credit world. Would never have imagined this a few years back.

I'm thankful to everybody for all the help I've gotten on this forum. You guys rock (even though you try to tempt me to app for more cards but so far so good!)

Thanks for all your help and support your local credit union!!!!

Edited for my many grammatical errors.

CONGRATS!!!

I love my CU too (PSECU), they have me a 9K Visa in July.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}