Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Love my local credit union

tag
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Love my local credit union

Just wanted to share about the excitment of my local credit union (Auburn University Federal Credit Union). Definitely check them out if you happen to live in Auburn, AL. That is about the only good thing in that town. Unless you like football. But I'll save that for a different forum

Anyways, due to a lot of irresponsible financial decisions, I filed for BK in 2008. I've managed a great credit profile since then (if I can say so myself), paid my bills on time, always pay in full and I have been reluctant to apply for excessive credit. Of course I have a Capital One card- they were the first to give me a second chance although I doubt that I'll get anymore love from them since I'm not keen about calling the executive office.

I applied for and got a card with my credit union on the first of August. They gave me a $6000 credit limit (my highest so far). Better still, the interest rate is fixed at 10.90% and that rate does not change even if one makes a late payment (God forbid that ever happens). The same rate also applies to cash advances. They also allow you to go up to 10 days past your due date before charging a $20 late fee (again that is not going to happen). The best thing for me is that I get 1% cash back on my purchases. I know that doesn't sound like much to many of you but I'm so excited (so excited!) about my first rewards card. Four years post BK. I feel like I've just gotten a second lease to the credit world. Would never have imagined this a few years back.

I'm thankful to everybody for all the help I've gotten on this forum. You guys rock (even though you try to tempt me to app for more cards but so far so good!)

Thanks for all your help and support your local credit union!!!!

Edited for my many grammatical errors.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Re: Love my local credit union

Congrats

Message 2 of 13
Mellon
Established Contributor

good stuff..congrats

Message 3 of 13
gettnthere
Established Contributor

WOW, CONGRATS!! Awesome CL too!

On a side note: thats totally awesome you live in Auburn, you and I only live a couple hours away from each other!! Im also a tigers fan. lets hope our season starts picking up and we start winning all of our gamesSmiley Wink

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 13
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! Huge limit!
I just joined a local credit union (Utah First) & although they werent able to get me a cc, they actually did me a better favor and refinanced my car! I was paying 30% apr, $308 a mo to a buy here pay here place. They refi'd at 12% & 210 a month!! Im over the moon with excitement! They said in 6 mos I can get a cc and i'm meeting with them again to talk about my first mortgage loan! They are amazing and gave me hope for rebuilding!
Message 5 of 13
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

I should add, 5 other CU's denied me the same day. They were the only ones willing to go over my CR with me in person, and ask me about every single thing. Very understanding, and they repeated "we are all about member relationships. We are your personal banker.",I am very happy with them and closing my WF acct tomorrow!
Message 6 of 13
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Thanks all Smiley Happy

And yes to the Tigers winning some games soon. War Eagle!

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 7 of 13
lithium78
Established Contributor

Congratulations!  Credit unions are fantastic for rebuilding credit.  Good luck on your journey! :-)

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 13
Lzzybeth
New Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:

Congratulations!  Credit unions are fantastic for rebuilding credit.  Good luck on your journey! :-)

+1eleventybillion!

I love my credit union too (University Federal Credit Union in Austin, TX), as they gave me a $5K MasterCard this month. Always talk to your local credit union!! Smiley Very Happy

Garden Club Challenge: App Free Since 5/01/2021 and
No Apps Until 6/15/2022
Message 9 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@aussiesareforever wrote:

Just wanted to share about the excitment of my local credit union (Auburn University Federal Credit Union). Definitely check them out if you happen to live in Auburn, AL. That is about the only good thing in that town. Unless you like football. But I'll save that for a different forum

Anyways, due to a lot of irresponsible financial decisions, I filed for BK in 2008. I've managed a great credit profile since then (if I can say so myself), paid my bills on time, always pay in full and I have been reluctant to apply for excessive credit. Of course I have a Capital One card- they were the first to give me a second chance although I doubt that I'll get anymore love from them since I'm not keen about calling the executive office.

I applied for and got a card with my credit union on the first of August. They gave me a $6000 credit limit (my highest so far). Better still, the interest rate is fixed at 10.90% and that rate does not change even if one makes a late payment (God forbid that ever happens). The same rate also applies to cash advances. They also allow you to go up to 10 days past your due date before charging a $20 late fee (again that is not going to happen). The best thing for me is that I get 1% cash back on my purchases. I know that doesn't sound like much to many of you but I'm so excited (so excited!) about my first rewards card. Four years post BK. I feel like I've just gotten a second lease to the credit world. Would never have imagined this a few years back.

I'm thankful to everybody for all the help I've gotten on this forum. You guys rock (even though you try to tempt me to app for more cards but so far so good!)

Thanks for all your help and support your local credit union!!!!

Edited for my many grammatical errors.

CONGRATS!!!

I love my CU too (PSECU), they have me a 9K Visa in July.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.