Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low APRs, but low limits

tag
afinch1992
Regular Contributor

Low APRs, but low limits

Hi everyone, 

I have a question regarding how limits and APR are determined. I know it is up to each bank and how they calculate it, but what is the general trend? I have a slim, but strong file. AAoA of close to 2 years (will go down a bit with my new card), oldestest account about 4 years, no baddies at all (always PIF and many times before statement cuts). I have recieved the lowest possible APR on the past 3 apps, but my limits seem to be in the near-toy range for my income (50-60k during the apps). My current high is from Cap1 at 3k, however my most recent limit was a mediocre 1.4k from Barclays (Sallie Mae). Are the APRs more based on not having any baddies or are my limits lagging behind?

I tried to recon the Sallie Mae for an increase and at first they were worried about my first card being from Oct, however I corrected them and they acknoledged my BOA that I have had for nearly two years. After that, I thought I was in the clear as they seemed pleased with my income and recent promotion. I asked for a limit of 5k and after a couple of minutes the CSR replied that although I have a good established history, I have only run a max of $1200 in one month on one card. While this is technically correct, I have charged nearly 3k in just the past month spread over a few of my cards. I explained that I not only want to run a large purchase through their card, but would like to use it exclusively for my travel related expenses that will be occurring starting in two of months. No dice. Not even a counter.

Am I missing something here? I guess that a 3x increase to 6k from AMEX (1 month away) would have helped the situation, but I'm a little dumbfounded why they didnt even counter when I am practiaclly begging them to run 4k+ on their card and make it my go to for nearly guarnteed travel expenses for work. Any thoughts and insights are appreciated. 

Editl: FWIW, Barclays also has me at a FICO of 739 

AMEX BCE 18000CL, Citi DC 15000CL, AMEX EDP 15000CL, CSP 5000CL, Fidelity AMEX 5000CL, Sallie Mae MC 7400CL, US Bank Cash+ 5000CL, Chase Freedom 4000CL, Capital One QS 6000CL, BoA Better Balance 2500CL, Discover It 2000CL, BoA Better Cash Rewards 500CL, Chase Amazon CC 700CL

TU: 756 EX: 755 EQ: 753
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: Low APRs, but low limits

FWIW, I had EXACTLY the same thing happen with the Barclays Sallie Mae MC a year ago. $1.4k limit, best available APR, denial of CLI on immediate recon.

In my case (as in yours, I suspect) the reason was too much new credit. Barclays is just especially leery of that.

I had credit in the mid to high 700s and had two TLs over $10k. But Barclays wouldn't budge.

They do give decent auto-CLIs though. I got bumped to $2.4k on my six month anniversary and am looking forward to my one year anniversary soon.

Message 2 of 7
afinch1992
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the reply Gunnar. That is an increadibly similar story. I was hoping to run a new TV and some other stuff from Amazon, but I guess they will only get the $750 that they pay out 5% on. I was looking to consolidate my wallet as well, but it looks like I will probably stick all my travel to the AMEX. 

AMEX BCE 18000CL, Citi DC 15000CL, AMEX EDP 15000CL, CSP 5000CL, Fidelity AMEX 5000CL, Sallie Mae MC 7400CL, US Bank Cash+ 5000CL, Chase Freedom 4000CL, Capital One QS 6000CL, BoA Better Balance 2500CL, Discover It 2000CL, BoA Better Cash Rewards 500CL, Chase Amazon CC 700CL

Message 3 of 7
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@afinch1992 wrote:

Thank you for the reply Gunnar. That is an increadibly similar story. I was hoping to run a new TV and some other stuff from Amazon, but I guess they will only get the $750 that they pay out 5% on. I was looking to consolidate my wallet as well, but it looks like I will probably stick all my travel to the AMEX. 

You can buy an amazon gift certificate and get the 5% cash back. Then after the statement date, you can spend twice as much by using the gift certificate and the next $750 available on the Sallie Mae. In that way, you can buy something that cost smore than $750 and still get 5% cash back on the entire value.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 7
afinch1992
Regular Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@afinch1992 wrote:

You can buy an amazon gift certificate and get the 5% cash back. Then after the statement date, you can spend twice as much by using the gift certificate and the next $750 available on the Sallie Mae. In that way, you can buy something that cost smore than $750 and still get 5% cash back on the entire value.

great tip, thank you. I will more than likely do just that. I doubt I would have thought of that one and would have split it. The only thing that came to mind was an amazon payment, but I dont think those go through as 5% anyways. 

Message 5 of 7
Chris679
Established Contributor

I am speculating here but I suspect that your starting APR is based only on your credit worthiness while the starting limit is affected by your limits on your current cards.
Message 6 of 7
afinch1992
Regular Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:
I am speculating here but I suspect that your starting APR is based only on your credit worthiness while the starting limit is affected by your limits on your current cards.

Sounds very plausable. The thing that confuses me in the whole process is the fact I have plenty of income relative to my total credit lines (about 10k credit for 60k income) and blasted through about 3k so far in about 15 days. I guess Barclays is just a stickler as many people have stated. The current limit is not unreasonable, but its definitely going to be PIF a couple of times a month for a little while (with the bigger purchases). 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.