cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low CLIs and infrequent increases on upper tier Capital One cards?

tag
gx240

Low CLIs and infrequent increases on upper tier Capital One cards?

I know that Capital One's lower level/rebuilding credit cards are infamous for their low credit limits and the difficulty of getting any kind of credit limit increase. Does the same hold true for their upper tier cards which require excellent credit for approval? I'm thinking of the Cash Rewards card without the annual fee in particular.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Low CLIs and infrequent increases on upper tier Capital One cards?

@gx240 wrote:

I know that Capital One's lower level/rebuilding credit cards are infamous for their low credit limits and the difficulty of getting any kind of credit limit increase. Does the same hold true for their upper tier cards which require excellent credit for approval? I'm thinking of the Cash Rewards card without the annual fee in particular.

I've never have had any issues with auto-CLIs with either Venture and/or Cash Rewards CCs.  As you mentioned, of course, above average/excellent credit.  However, not everyone is a fan of Capital One and there are many CC options with other lenders as well.

Message 2 of 5
HiLine
Blogger

Wells Fargo and Capital One are not particularly known to offer good credit cards, which is probably why even their top-tier credit cards are not popular on this board. Hopefully someone with the experience will be able to answer your question. I'm curious about this too Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

CapOne's second biggest problem is the tripple pull that comes with all of their cards. You can basicly get 2 prime cards for nearly the same cost as CapOne. And if you qualify for CapOne top tier cards and have good income you can do much better, its not hard to imagine getting 2 prime cards with 5k or greater limits for less impact on your credit than CapOne, and most likely those cards will grow faster via auto-CLI's and depending on the bank possible semi-frequent CLI's via SP's. No need to contact EO or deal with CSR's that just read scripts without power to do things.

If you are past your rebuilding phase I see no reason to AP for CapOne. I am stuck  with CapOne cards and will have to play the EO game to make them useful again or I will Sock Drawer/Close them.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 5
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

I have this question too! I recently opened a card with Capital One with their upper tier CW card and I was a little disappointed with the CL.  I was going to pay and utilize monthly to see if they do an auto increase for their upper tier  cards after around 6 months.  And if not, I was going to request through CSR.  Anyone have personal experience? Or have any knowledge whether their higher tiered cards get auto increases or if they're willing to increase an upper tiered card?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.