Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners

Low CLIs and infrequent increases on upper tier Capital One cards?

[ Edited ]

I know that Capital One's lower level/rebuilding credit cards are infamous for their low credit limits and the difficulty of getting any kind of credit limit increase. Does the same hold true for their upper tier cards which require excellent credit for approval? I'm thinking of the Cash Rewards card without the annual fee in particular.

Senior Contributor

Re: Low CLIs and infrequent increases on upper tier Capital One cards?

gx240 wrote:

I know that Capital One's lower level/rebuilding credit cards are infamous for their low credit limits and the difficulty of getting any kind of credit limit increase. Does the same hold true for their upper tier cards which require excellent credit for approval? I'm thinking of the Cash Rewards card without the annual fee in particular.

I've never have had any issues with auto-CLIs with either Venture and/or Cash Rewards CCs.  As you mentioned, of course, above average/excellent credit.  However, not everyone is a fan of Capital One and there are many CC options with other lenders as well.

Blogger

Wells Fargo and Capital One are not particularly known to offer good credit cards, which is probably why even their top-tier credit cards are not popular on this board. Hopefully someone with the experience will be able to answer your question. I'm curious about this too Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

CapOne's second biggest problem is the tripple pull that comes with all of their cards. You can basicly get 2 prime cards for nearly the same cost as CapOne. And if you qualify for CapOne top tier cards and have good income you can do much better, its not hard to imagine getting 2 prime cards with 5k or greater limits for less impact on your credit than CapOne, and most likely those cards will grow faster via auto-CLI's and depending on the bank possible semi-frequent CLI's via SP's. No need to contact EO or deal with CSR's that just read scripts without power to do things.

If you are past your rebuilding phase I see no reason to AP for CapOne. I am stuck  with CapOne cards and will have to play the EO game to make them useful again or I will Sock Drawer/Close them.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Freedom 6.6k & Amtrak 4.6k, FNBO DISC 14.9k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 6k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 12k Sally Mae5k Sams Club MC 10k, Paypal Extras MC 6k, CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 5k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 7k, HHonors Gold 1k (moved 5k CL to Simplicity), Discover IT 10k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP/HP 4/22/2015
Frequent Contributor

I have this question too! I recently opened a card with Capital One with their upper tier CW card and I was a little disappointed with the CL.  I was going to pay and utilize monthly to see if they do an auto increase for their upper tier  cards after around 6 months.  And if not, I was going to request through CSR.  Anyone have personal experience? Or have any knowledge whether their higher tiered cards get auto increases or if they're willing to increase an upper tiered card?

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.