cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Credit Card Limits - How Much of A Problem Is That?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Low Credit Card Limits - How Much of A Problem Is That?

Right now I have three credit cards and an overdraft protection account through my bank.
The limit on my overdraft protection is $1,000
The limit on my BofA card is $500 and that account has been open for 24 months.
My Macy's card has a limit of $400 and havs been open 7 months.
I also have a GEMB card from Discount Tires with a limit of $500 that has been open for about 9 months.
All balances have been paid down to zero with a perfect payment history on all accounts.

About 6 months I was declined by Citibank and also by Capitol One for credit cards. Both cited a limited credit history and too high of a utilization rate on my existing credit.
I'm going to wait a month for all of my balances to report zero and then consider my options.
Any ideas on what my next course of action should be?

I'd like to have a high enough credit limit so that normal and reasonable usage, that is paid off in a couple of months, does not trash my utilization percentages.

The FICO estimator says that I should have scores of 750-780 plus when my accounts report a zero balance.

I have no derogatory info on any of my credit reports, but my credit reports only shows a history of about 7-years.
I had some income stability issues in 1990-1992 and went off the credit radar for almost twenty years and I have been paying cash ever since, until I decided to reestablish a couple of years ago.
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
dp321
Regular Contributor

Re: Low Credit Card Limits - How Much of A Problem Is That?

Low credit limit is not generally a problem, but high utilization PERCENTAGE is. My EQ fico went from 709 to 757 just for going from 60% utl to ~ 5% in one month. Do you mind share your utilization percentage from your fico report? I think as most people on this forum advocate letting all cards report $0 balance but one card reporting somewhere below 9%. but you dont want all cards report 0%. I verifty this with my credit karma score, which so far correlates positively with my fico score. 

Also, be aware that your score updates when the credit bureaus updates their reports and this generally happens after your statement cuts. So to maximize your score, pay down all balances, put about 9% usage on one card, say ~$45 on your $500 BoA card. Wait till every one of your credit card cut statement once. Wait a week and you should see an increase on your score. 

Also, does your overdraft protection with BofA report as revolving credit in your credit report? If not, most likely it's not factored into the utilization part of your fico score.

7 years is moderately long credit history, what is the average age of account indicated on your fico report?

Starting Score: EQ: 703 (4/2011);
Current Score: EQ: 738 (04/2013)

Goal Score: ALL 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

The average age for Trans union is 2 years and the average age for Equifax is 3
My utilization for all of my debt is showing at 47%
My overdraft protection shows as a revolving acct.
Message 3 of 22
dp321
Regular Contributor

Oh yea, then definitely do what I just suggested. Depending on what your end goal is though, you can go about raise your limit a bit differently. If you just want to raise your limit on your BoA card, you can request a credit limit increase on the website. You probably get to $1000 fairly easily. That should approve fairly easily with soft pull or hard pull (soft pull for me for two occasions, but hard pulls were reported by some members). That would significantly helps your ultilization. 

If you want to get some new cards, defiinitely prime your credit report as I memtioned before, then go for the cards you want. I think you have a fair chance of getting to the score you mentioned in the fico simulator. 

Message 4 of 22
dp321
Regular Contributor

By the way, if your ultilization is indeed 47%, that means you have been maxing out both of your cards? Unless your $1000 overdraft protection is not reported to the credit bureaus... Don't do that either, ideally you want to keep each card's usage below say 50% or 25% if you can manage. If you have been carrying that high of utilizationn consistently on your BoA card, I can't honestly recommend you go trying to get credit limit increase from them now.

I am not saying that you have to do that every month, but definitely the month prior to applying for credit cards, a CLI or loans.

Make sure your credit report is updated before you go applying for a new card, you can keep track by paying for a new fico report, or alternatively, sign up for credit karma. CK doesn't give you a real fico credit score, but you can update it daily for free. It soft pulls transunion. That's how i keep track if my credit report has been updated.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card I really want is one of these:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/creditcards/public/en_us
A BA Chase Signature Visa would come in real handy as I'm going to the UK in September of this year.
I have no idea how hard those are to get, but Chase did turn me down about 7 months ago as I talked about earlier.

Getting another Amex would help (back date trick) if they will give me one. I had one back in 1989 that did not go well, but they let me have one as an AU in 1996 and that I paid as agreed, but I have no idea if that matters or not.
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I did have my overdraft and my BofA almost maxed out, but I have paid them both down to zero and incurred no new debt. I was at about 40% usage on my Macy's but I also zeroed that out as well.
Really, I have no debt at this exact moment and I could go another several months without incurring any, if I had to.
Message 7 of 22
dp321
Regular Contributor

Google credit pull database. The data was limited, as very few people apply for this card, but my fair guess would be ~750 on Experian fico - which you can't get. It doesn't hurt to give it a try if you get the other two scores in this range..

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Higher credit limits do affect FICO scores. Someone with 0% utilization on $2000 in tradelines will not have as many points as someone with 0% utilization on $10k, for that category. I'm not sure how much the CL affects this, but that category has a max of 150 points.
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also suspect that higher CL also help with scores. If it's a reason for a decline, then I can't help but think it also affects the FICO numbers.

Thanks for the advice everyone, you all have been very helpful!
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.