Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Credit Score Approvals

tag
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Re: Low Credit Score Approvals

@reggiereg86 wrote:

Just curious.. Has anyone got approved for a decent credit card with a CS under 600? Ex. Freedom, Slate, Barclaycard Rewards. etc etc?

I think I was high 500s when I Barclays approved me for $500 CL. Recon was denied, I didn't try again. At that time, I had two Cap1 cards $750 and $1000, and VS $300. They said $500 was about average for me and I wasn't eligible for anymore....a few weeks later, with a 630, I joined NFCU and bam 10k instant approval. Oh, and a friend of mine (EQ 590) joined NFCU a day or two after me, and he was instantly approved for 10k as well. 

Um, we were both denied flagship visas a day later. hahhahahahahaha!!! Pretty sure NFCU isn't considered prime, but I am absolutely loving my 10k CL. 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 19
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Actually, I just thought about it...you can probably get a Cap1 unsecured card with that score, I am positive I did. 

Message 12 of 19
eagle2013
Established Contributor

No not sub 600s. The good news is that with even a few months of decent payment history those sub 600s tend to gain points relativley quickly.

I'd definitley recommend going the secured route with a prime lender that you can grow with - barring you meet the qualifications (some have stipulations re: bankruptcy and open collections). The great thing about the secured accounts is that when they go unsecured they leave no trace of being secured. So when the lenders pull your CR, it shows a year history with an 'unsecured' card. And you get your $$ back. This is what I did with WF, but WF has been finicky about who they upgrade - they really like to see a strong banking relationship. I'd suggest BofA. My WF secured was $400. About 3 months after having the card I apped for Old Navy store card and that was a $200 limit.

I didn't feel that my scores were necessarily in line with prime cards. My recent EX Ficos for both Chase and BofA were 634 and 626 at time of my recent app. My EQ Fico was 676. Of course, there was an aggressive recon, more so for BofA surprisingly than Chase. What helped in my favor was that I had a 1 year history with my WF card and my baddie (unpaid CO) was 4 years old. Otherwise clean history. I also made it a point to articulate how I would use the cards, etc. Income is modest-ish ($37k) so that wasn't a modifying factor I'm sure.  

Message 13 of 19
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@newmomnewme wrote:

@reggiereg86 wrote:

Just curious.. Has anyone got approved for a decent credit card with a CS under 600? Ex. Freedom, Slate, Barclaycard Rewards. etc etc?

I think I was high 500s when I Barclays approved me for $500 CL. Recon was denied, I didn't try again. At that time, I had two Cap1 cards $750 and $1000, and VS $300. They said $500 was about average for me and I wasn't eligible for anymore....a few weeks later, with a 630, I joined NFCU and bam 10k instant approval. Oh, and a friend of mine (EQ 590) joined NFCU a day or two after me, and he was instantly approved for 10k as well. 

Um, we were both denied flagship visas a day later. hahhahahahahaha!!! Pretty sure NFCU isn't considered prime, but I am absolutely loving my 10k CL. 

Why wouldn't it be? 

Message 14 of 19
Ciscoford

I received a pre-approval letter from Barclays and was given $750 limit with scores in 630's.

Message 15 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@eagle2013 wrote:

@newmomnewme wrote:

@reggiereg86 wrote:

Why wouldn't it be?  

+1

It is considered and ranked as a prime lending CU based on information from the NFCUA.  While they can offer some products to be in the not-so-prime radar for individuals with imperfect credit histories, they are by no means anything sub-prime.

Message 16 of 19
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Thanks guys. I am in the prime game now!!!

Message 17 of 19
syul9088
Established Member

I just approved Chase Freedom for 3k limit. With no history like can't even pull report cause nothing to report.

Chase Freedom(6k), Chase Slate(1k), Amex BCP(5k AU), Amex Plat(NPSL AU), Amex Delta Plat(3k AU)

Message 18 of 19
norhplatter
Established Member

In January I applied for AMEX blue everyday and was approved for $1000.  I had a score of under 600 (I think).  So I applied for Barclay, Jan/$1000/approved.  Decided to try one more time to NFCU Jan/$5000/approved.  I have karma showing score oc 600 today.  Walmart and US Bank at 649 today, with only one point gained since March 1.

During this time I applied for/approved for several Comenity Bank Cards (Buckle, VS, Express, HSN, etc).  HSN has already increased my CLI $800.  GE gave me WalMart, Paypal, and CareCredit.  Bank cards are BOA, secured, which I am calling tomorrow to ask for a change to non secured, WF $1100, was secured at $500, graduated with CLI, Captial one, 5 accounts, because of taking over Orchard ad HSBC, plus their own, US Bank, secured, and USAA, AMEX, lastly PayPal at $300.  So while my scores were not high, I was lucky enough to get approved.  I have about a 2% UTIL, paying down from over $10000 since last May 1.  I also tried CLI AMEX today, but was given the 7-10 day letter, but not directly denied. So I had better garden a while and do consider myself lucky on what I have.  Hopefully the banks won't think I've gone to far and pull my accounts....

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.