cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Score Credit Card

tag
monstere316

Re: Low Score Credit Card

If I keep it low though and pay it in full every month I should be able to raise my score and cancel it after a year right?
Message 31 of 50
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Yeah i have a credit one card also dont like it but only plan on keeping it a year. I have only used it once in two months and they just gave me an auto cli . Still not going to use it though.
Message 32 of 50
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

I got a Cap One under 600.
2/16/13 Scores EX: 594, TU:513, EQ:563 -- Cap One Secured: $200, Kay's: $400

GOAL #1: 625 -- CHECK!

3/31/15 Scores TU: 621 -- Cap One Secured: $750, Kay's: $900, CareCredit: $1000, Aerie $350, Fingerhut $1350

Goal #2: A travel card. REC ME!
Message 33 of 50
monstere316

Is it helping your credit?
Message 34 of 50
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

If you haven't applied for a Capital One card, i would do so. They have no annual fee and if you are approved, you are enrolled in their program where they raise your credit limit automatically after a certain number of months (for me it is 5) as long as you pay the minimum payment ontime and use the card at least 1 time. Capital One is way better than credit one. Congrats on the card and yest Credit One can help you improve your credit, just be very careful with the fees. 

Message 35 of 50
twall06
Frequent Contributor

I like my cap1 way better than my credit one it only has a 0 AF first year then $19 AF versus credit ones $75 then almost $100 second year.
Message 36 of 50
monstere316

I went on ahead and tried to see if I was pre approved for Capitol One. It said I was for 2 cards. One was 0 fee for first year 19 after that 24% interest. The other was 50% Cash back. 39 a year and the same interest. I chose the one with the lower fees and was approved for the first one with a 500 dollar limit which Im happy about. Now what do I do about the credit one card. Do I keep it and have three CC's on my reports or do I need to cancel it and just keep the secured and the capitol one?

My other option is on the secured on I can use the 500 to pay the card off in full and close it and keep the two unsecured cards. This would bring my debt down but I dont know how it would affect my credit? What is your guys take?

Message 37 of 50
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

Just be careful with the CreditOne card, if i recall there is no way around the interest charges if you make any kind of purchase.

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 38 of 50
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

Also with the credit one card, the annual fee is spread out into monthly payments, so it always reports a balance each month.

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 39 of 50
monstere316

So should I cancel it? Keep all three? Or pay the secured off and just keep the two unsecured?

I've also been told by my bank I have to use the card and pay it off monthly to actually improve my credit is this correct?
Message 40 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.