Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low credit limit credit cards...Help

tag
jb1095
Valued Member

Re: Low credit limit credit cards...Help

I am in Massachusettes.  I work 20 minutes south of Boston and live on the MA/RI line

Message 11 of 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@jb1095 wrote:

I will do that.  Thanks for the advice all.  It just pains me to have to pay this high interest on both Dell and Jareds.  The good news is that I was at 4k/4k with them a couple months ago but made a couple $500.00 payments in addition to the weekly payments that I just started, so I should have that down to 2k or so within a couple months.  I can also exercize some stock options if I need to in order to pay Jareds completely off, then it will be on to the Dell charge for me.  My goal is to lower my CC utilization to zero and maybe apply for some high limit cards then.

I just called Discover and applied for a Discover IT card, they said I would be approved but only for a CL of $1000.00 and an annual APR of 22%.  I promptly declined that offer and decided to wait until these disputes are at least cleared and the 2 other credit cards that are not mine are removed.

I would NEVER decline an offer from a prime bank like Discover, Chase, Amex, Citi, etc. if they offer something you build relationship and close your terrible cards like First Premier.

Apply for a Citi.

Write the President at Capital One via his e-mail for CLI, they will call and talk to you about it... ask for an increase to $5k... they will counter... they only do SP and you will get calls within days.

Message 12 of 22
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

There are several that you can join online... and taz, for the record, I made a distinction between USAA and the credit unions because I know that they are not a credit union.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 13 of 22
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

App for Chase Freedom...
If denied... RECON! I know you can do it...
I got a $5k line w a 637 fico(was due to fraud accts- got them removed shortly thereafter)!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 14 of 22
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

And you should have taken the Discover and xferred part of your high interest balance!!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 15 of 22
Simply827
Established Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
And you should have taken the Discover and xferred part of your high interest balance!!!

+1

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 16 of 22
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Declining a discover? Wow, that's one way to do it I suppose. So you just wasted a hard pull on a prime card and then declined it? Unsure of what direction you're going but this is not the way. If you're going to apply for anything going forward, plan it out and accept whatever you're given.

Message 17 of 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

Declining a discover? Wow, that's one way to do it I suppose. So you just wasted a hard pull on a prime card and then declined it? Unsure of what direction you're going but this is not the way. If you're going to apply for anything going forward, plan it out and accept whatever you're given.

+1

My father always said "Dont cut of your nose to spite your face"

I understand you have good scores, and a mortgage but can't get cards but you also have TERRIBLE cards currently... what the computer may slip by upon manual reviews what I use to think was not possible is having an underwriter say "you have first premier, we view that very risky and do not want to give you credit.

Message 18 of 22
honky
Regular Contributor

I would call Discover and see if the offer can still be on the table without another pull.  Then I would call the backdoor and ask for a higher line..like 2,000. 

Its a good start and a great card.  I want the card myself, just dont want to take another inquiry to get it at this point.

Starting Score: 580 2/03/12
Current Score: 810 EQ // 829 TU(Walmart)
Goal Score: Achieved!

Wallet: Citi Forward(13.5k), Ink plus(18k), CSP(13.5k), Freedom(6k), BoA123(13k), Alliant CU(5k), Walmart(2k), Kohls(1.4k), QuickSIlver(7.5k) Amex Simplycash Business(46.5k)
Message 19 of 22
HiLine
Blogger

May I ask why you are so firm about getting credit cards with high limits? You should be aware that your credit history right now is unlikely to help you obtain much better cards with much higher limits than those currently in your portfolio. I've never heard of anyone declining a credit card offer after applying and (of course) taking a credit inquiry. Discover should offer you at least 12 months of 0% ARP on balance transfers; you can take this opportunity to reduce the amount of interest you pay and focus on paying off the debt. If the debt is still there, you won't need more credit - in fact, having more credit may harm you if good financial management habits haven't been established. 

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.