Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low-income worker or student?

tag
Jungook
Regular Contributor

Low-income worker or student?

During a credit application process you often have to put down your current profession. If you're a part-time worker and student which one do you put down or which is preferred in order to get an easier approval?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
sergi0wned
Contributor

Re: Low-income worker or student?

I've had success listing "student" on all of my applications for the cards in my signature.

I can't speak for "part-time," but I believe that "student" (with some income of course) would be appealing to lenders in that they can establish a relationship with you before you presumably graduate and obtain a higher paying job.
20 years old | 4 Cards in my wallet | TU (3/28/14) 743
January 2013 - 1st Financial Bank USA Platinum VISA ($500 --> $1,500)
June 2013- Discover IT Student ($1,500 --> $1,800 --> $2,100), Citi Forward Student ($1,500 --> $2,900)
December 2013 - Macy's American Express ($1,000 --> $3,000)
February 2014 - American Express Blue Cash Everyday ($3,000), Chase Freedom ($2,000)
April 2014 - Sallie Mae MasterCard ($3,800)
Message 2 of 3
runner121
Established Member

Re: Low-income worker or student?

For most of my apps I have put student on my applications and have had tons of success.  My husband who works part time and is also a student, puts employed and he also has a lot of success, so I don't think it matters as long as your reports don't raise a red flag.

When I first got a card, I was a student and working part time. I was denied for most cards due to a medical collection that was posted during my senior year of high school. I'm sure a lot of companies would have been more likely to approve me back then if I hadn't had that on my report. Capital One was the one company that approved me at that time. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.