Reply
Blogger
Posts: 3,355
Registered: ‎10-19-2012
0

Low - limit cards underrated?

[ Edited ]

I don't understand why some people want to close their low-limit cards. What's wrong with keeping cards that have a limit in the hundreds but no annual fee?

Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 10,932
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: Low - limit cards underrated?


HiLine wrote:

I don't understand why some people want to close their low-limit cards. What's wrong with keeping cards that have a limit in the hundreds?


Because many low-limit cards:

1) have a non-trivial AF

2) are no longer used anyway in favor of better cards that traditionally have better limits

 

There's nothing intrinsically bad with low limit cards, though if that's all one has, it can be more difficult to establish higher limit cards in excess of the "toy" limit strata by how ever one defines that.  End of the day, payment history is payment history, and payment history is king with regards to FICO.  That can be established just as well on a $300 limit as it can on a $30,000 limit.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 693, EQ 8 685, TU 705, EX 709 (02/27/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Blogger
Posts: 3,355
Registered: ‎10-19-2012
0

Re: Low - limit cards underrated?

[ Edited ]

I edited the original post to include "no annual fee." Thanks for pointing that out. :smileyhappy:


Revelate wrote:

HiLine wrote:

I don't understand why some people want to close their low-limit cards. What's wrong with keeping cards that have a limit in the hundreds?


Because many low-limit cards:

1) have a non-trivial AF

2) are no longer used anyway in favor of better cards that traditionally have better limits

 

There's nothing intrinsically bad with low limit cards, though if that's all one has, it can be more difficult to establish higher limit cards in excess of the "toy" limit strata by how ever one defines that.  End of the day, payment history is payment history, and payment history is king with regards to FICO.  That can be established just as well on a $300 limit as it can on a $30,000 limit.


If you're not using the card any more, isn't it still worth keeping for the sake of AAoA? Most low-limit cards are obtained early in the credit building process, and therefore tend be the the oldest accounts as well. 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,507
Registered: ‎07-24-2011
0

Re: Low - limit cards underrated?

I think that most people were closing out their accounts because of the AF, besides that I don't see any point in closing them because they will still be on your report.

 

As for the AAoA, it affects some people tremendously and others not so much.  If I closed out anyone of my low limit cards it wouldn't do any damage because I have TL's dating back 30 years.  On the other hand someone with a year or two will probably be dinged.


Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Established Contributor
Posts: 554
Registered: ‎09-28-2012
0

Re: Low - limit cards underrated?

Me personally I look at it as cleaning house. My credit has come a long way from where it use to be , and if new credit see the low limit account still being used I don't see any sense in them wanting to offer me higher limits then whatmy current creditors extend.



TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!


Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,115
Registered: ‎10-31-2011
0

Re: Low - limit cards underrated?


Rhaeny wrote:

I think that most people were closing out their accounts because of the AF, besides that I don't see any point in closing them because they will still be on your report.

 

As for the AAoA, it affects some people tremendously and others not so much.  If I closed out anyone of my low limit cards it wouldn't do any damage because I have TL's dating back 30 years.  On the other hand someone with a year or two will probably be dinged.


closing.credit cards wont affect your AAoA since a positive TL will continue to report for 10 years from the date closed

ccpics2.jpg
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,491
Registered: ‎07-25-2008
0

Re: Low - limit cards underrated?

I'm not rebuilding so a lower limit wouldn't really help short or long term goals. My long term (7 year) goal is to close all cards except 2 and use mostly cash.

 

Being really conservative about inquiries it really wouldn't make any sense or help my score to apply for another card, especially if the limit were low. Sure, it might help with utilization a bit but AAOA would also be affected.

 

In defense of lower limit cards... I probably managed spending a lot better with one $500 limit card, LOL!


Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,507
Registered: ‎07-24-2011
0

Re: Low - limit cards underrated?


beb86 wrote:

Rhaeny wrote:

I think that most people were closing out their accounts because of the AF, besides that I don't see any point in closing them because they will still be on your report.

 

As for the AAoA, it affects some people tremendously and others not so much.  If I closed out anyone of my low limit cards it wouldn't do any damage because I have TL's dating back 30 years.  On the other hand someone with a year or two will probably be dinged.


closing.credit cards wont affect your AAoA since a positive TL will continue to report for 10 years from the date closed


Sorry, yep you are correct, I meant to say utilization and not AAoA, and that closing out your account can affect your utiilzation....duhhh.

 

Must of been up too late last night..LOL


Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,396
Registered: ‎01-14-2009
0

Re: Low - limit cards underrated?

Higher limits beget higher limits, lower limits beget lower limits.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,396
Registered: ‎01-14-2009
0

Re: Low - limit cards underrated?


beb86 wrote:

closing.credit cards wont affect your AAoA since a positive TL will continue to report for 10 years from the date closed


I agree, it won't affect your AAoA for 10 years while it continues to report.

 

I disagree, it will affect your AAoA once it stops reporting after 10 years.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.