Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowe's- CLD

tag
jbee
Regular Contributor

Lowe's- CLD

Just got a CLD today from Lowe's.  My utilization on my cards are high, so it's not a surprise  This account was 93% utilization and now the decrease has it at 99%.  This really sucks!!!!  If I close the card, does the utilization still count toward my credit score?  I just don't want to pay down the balance and they decrease it every month which will keep me over 90%.  Please help.

3/1/10: TU: 615, EQ: 640, EX: ???
6/8/10 (LO pulled): TU: 704, EQ: 689, EX: 694
Goal Score by Oct. 1: TU: 750, EQ: 750, EX: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
swpopham
Established Contributor

Re: Lowe's- CLD

it will hurt your score worse because now you would have debt with no credit limit to help offset it... I never thought GE was decreesing but I guess it can happen

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 2 of 14
jbee
Regular Contributor

Ok, thanks....  So, I should leave it open and hope for no more decreases???

Message 3 of 14
swpopham
Established Contributor

thats what I would do. i would pay it down and if they chase you to 0 then its closed anyways. 

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 4 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jbee wrote:

Ok, thanks....  So, I should leave it open and hope for no more decreases???

Certainly keep it open, otherwise it makes things worse.   If they decide to balance chase you, not a lot you can do, except try to pay it down as quickly as possible.  Are you paying interest or is there a 0% APR period? 

Message 5 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

just because it's closed doesn't mean they can't and won't CLD as you pay.

just leave it open...  even if they CLD you again, once you do get it and your other cards down in util. you can get the CL going back up again... you can't do that if you close it.

Message 6 of 14
jbee
Regular Contributor

I'm paying interest every month (around $75).  So I'm trying to pay off credit cards and I was going to start with some other cards but this just changed things.  Do you think I should focus on this one first??  At least getting it down to where it's not considered max'ed out (around 75-80%)?

Message 7 of 14
jbee
Regular Contributor

Ok, thanks..  I didn't even think about once you've paid them down that you can ask for an increase. 

Message 8 of 14
enharu
Super Contributor

Just focus on paying down your highest apr card first. There's no point worrying about your credit scores and utilization if you are constantly getting hammered by interest fees.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:
Just focus on paying down your highest apr card first. There's no point worrying about your credit scores and utilization if you are constantly getting hammered by interest fees.

+1

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.