Not applicable

Lowe's or Home Depot

Hi
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lowe's or Home Depot

Sorry about that first post, I accidently hit enter.

I'm new here and I've been searching these forums.  My husband and I are debating on getting a Lowe's or Home Depot store card.  We've decided that he's going to be the one to get the card since he needs to establish more credit.  He has one credit card and his scores range from 620 - 710. 

Do any of you know which credit agency Home Depot and Lowe's uses to get the score?  Is Lowe's just as easy to get as Home Depot?  We really want a Lowe's card, but if he can't get instant credit at the store, I'll have to go get a Home Depot card because they keep sending me preapproval letters for $5000 6 months no interest no payments.

Does anyone have any advice on this?
Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

HD is backed by Citi-

The generally pull EQ

They will give generous opening limits if your income and FICO supports it. Otherwise they will give $1000
Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the moment, HD is offering no interest no payments on purchases of $299 or more. I think Lowes is offering the same, but only on certain purchases in certain departments. For HD, you could buy $300 in candy bars, sodas, Christmas lights, gift cards, etc. and you'd get the benefit. Doesn't matter what you buy. Only the amount.

And, this is the HD Consumer CC.

Message 4 of 34
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I love my HD card and have seen 4 CLI without asking just for paying the bill on timeSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will have had HD for 1 year in Jan - no CLIs even though I've paid the price in INQs on EQ for asking. $750 CL/$0 BAL and sockdrawered until next month for a less than $10 romp...  it was my third card... and since no AF it can stay sockdrawered unless useful to me (or that $10 romp every 3 months until I get a CLI)... I think they wont givr me a CLI beacause the most I ever charged was $189

Lowe's is managed by GEMB - which I think usually pulls TU (no guarantee)

Message Edited by Lady_Scarlet on 12-18-2007 04:00 PM
Message 6 of 34
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Based on my CLI I feel they like to see you using your current CL to justify larger CL. I had 3k balance on a 5500 limit, after 3 months they raised me to 9k then at 6 months to 12k and then again in 3 months to 14400. I have had a balance on the card the entire time but will be $0 next month now! Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditaddict wrote:
Based on my CLI I feel they like to see you using your current CL to justify larger CL. I had 3k balance on a 5500 limit, after 3 months they raised me to 9k then at 6 months to 12k and then again in 3 months to 14400. I have had a balance on the card the entire time but will be $0 next month now! Smiley Happy

Whoa! Killer limits! Mind telling me what apr? Where you paying interest or are you doing no int. at the time?

Message 8 of 34
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I'm  pretty good about hitting there promo 12 month no interest that they do at about EVERY holiday in existence!
They have great statement lay out and unlike most credit cards that will pay your promotional balances off BEFORE your balances your paying interest, it lays out min. due for each different balance you have, so if you need to pay off one promo balance you send the total promo balance plus the min. to cover your other promo balances... it's great and very easy to understand.
I now got the Home Depot Commercial card and in process of getting the commercial Mastercard. Hoping those cl increase like the personal card has!
Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kewlness all around.
Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.