Did you mean: 

Lowered 2 different APRs today!

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Lowered 2 different APRs today!

@StriderM99 wrote:

Thanks guys!

I've had my Discover card since 2012 (I think May or June, 2012 to be exact). I believe I got the Cap One card in January of 2012.

This was the first time I asked about lowering the APR on either card, so for all I know, it's been long overdue with my account(s).

I only thought to ask after successfully lowering my Comcast cable bill yesterday by over $50 a month, lol.

Both requests were done online through their chat system. Both asked a few questions (ssn, mothers maiden name, my current address, etc..) Neither said they'd need to pull my credit though. If they did, though, I would have been fine with it. I have no recent inquiries and dont plan on having any more any time soon.

Wow those are some nice APR reductions!  Congrats with Comcast too, I've worn out my threats to cancel with them and they call my bluff every time.

Message 11 of 19
StriderM99
New Contributor

For my Comcast bill, I actually didn't do anything really.

We moved into our house in October 2012. Got our service hooked up immediately (TV and Internet only, no phone).... so of course, we were given intro rates for everything..

Over the past year and a half, the promo rates have all slowly run out, so my bill went up little by little.. (HBO promo.. internet speed, etc..)

Last month I noticed our bill jumped nearly $20 for some reason.. Initially, I was going to call just to ask why (for the hell of it, I could already see the rate increase online), but when the lady answered my call... I basically said nothing more than "I'd like to see if there's anything we can do to bring my bill down. I don't want to pay what it's currently at"

After that, she put me on hold for a second, then came back and gave me a new quote for everything we currently have.

My monthly bill was 192.xx  She quoted me at 134.xx  for 2 years (and explained it's not a contract, etc, etc., just a price guaruntee).

Then, today, I used a Best Buy gift card I had laying around, bought a cable modem and wireless router, and was able to shave off another $7 a month by removing their "rental" for the modem they supply. Now I have slightly better than before internet connection (because of the better router and modem), and a slightly cheaper bill.

All said and done, my bill is right around $128 now...  or about $64 cheaper.

Message 12 of 19
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@StriderM99 wrote:

For my Comcast bill, I actually didn't do anything really.

We moved into our house in October 2012. Got our service hooked up immediately (TV and Internet only, no phone).... so of course, we were given intro rates for everything..

Over the past year and a half, the promo rates have all slowly run out, so my bill went up little by little.. (HBO promo.. internet speed, etc..)

Last month I noticed our bill jumped nearly $20 for some reason.. Initially, I was going to call just to ask why (for the hell of it, I could already see the rate increase online), but when the lady answered my call... I basically said nothing more than "I'd like to see if there's anything we can do to bring my bill down. I don't want to pay what it's currently at"

After that, she put me on hold for a second, then came back and gave me a new quote for everything we currently have.

My monthly bill was 192.xx  She quoted me at 134.xx  for 2 years (and explained it's not a contract, etc, etc., just a price guaruntee).

Then, today, I used a Best Buy gift card I had laying around, bought a cable modem and wireless router, and was able to shave off another $7 a month by removing their "rental" for the modem they supply. Now I have slightly better than before internet connection (because of the better router and modem), and a slightly cheaper bill.

All said and done, my bill is right around $128 now...  or about $64 cheaper.

Congrats!

I plan on asking for a waiver on my AFs when they hit - my thought is they can always say no but they won't say yes unless you ask.  I also called DirecTV and they lowered my bill by $20/mo just for asking when my contract date was up - too bad for them I'm still dropping them later this month to go to Dish.

Message 13 of 19
StriderM99
New Contributor

I just tried to ask AMEX about lowering my business card's APR using their online chat service.

I was told a note was put on my account for them to review... and for me to call their 800 number during business hours this week so I can talk to someone in person about lowering my APR.

I will update once I hear back from them this week.

Message 14 of 19
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

That's awesome! Congrats!

And speaking of cable bills, I actually lowered my AT&T U-Verse bill to $50 LOWER than the introductory rate after a year. I simply told them I would move to another provider, I named my price and they made it work. It took like three phone calls. And then yesterday I got an email stating that my new package qualified me for a $100 Visa gift card. BONUS! Haha!

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 15 of 19
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@OHWWCB wrote:

That's awesome! Congrats!

And speaking of cable bills, I actually lowered my AT&T U-Verse bill to $50 LOWER than the introductory rate after a year. I simply told them I would move to another provider, I named my price and they made it work. It took like three phone calls. And then yesterday I got an email stating that my new package qualified me for a $100 Visa gift card. BONUS! Haha!

Haha,  I got my AT&T cell phone bill lowered $20 a month and got 2x the data. Don't know why but it was available.  Then I got a $50 Visa gift card for U-Verse.

Plus I have a phone upgrade avail but I have had the phone less than a year. I have no idea why it's available now.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 16 of 19
StriderM99
New Contributor

I called AMEX about lowering my APR and had to laugh...

I told the rep I was asked to call in to talk to someone about possibly lowering my APR.

he says something like "Alright, before I look up your information, keep in mind, even if we aren't able to do anything right now, you can check again in 3 months"

odd, i thought, but I said "ok"

at at this point he asks me 3 or 4 questions to verify my account.. And then, within 1/10th of a second goes "I am sorry, we currently have nothing for you. Keep in mind you can check again in 3 months"

i should have have asked to talk to someone else, but instead laughed at how fast i was shot down, so I said thanks and hung up.

So AMEX was a no-go for now, lol.

Message 17 of 19
RushXTC
Established Contributor

Congratz, I've been meaning to call Sears and Old Navy to drop my APR... Not sure why I haven't done it. I've had them for a long time lol.

Message 18 of 19
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.