Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowering APR on a retail store card.

tag
samint
Established Member

Lowering APR on a retail store card.

Is this possible? I have one cc from a retailer that I can use anywhere besides their stores. Just recently they gave me a big credit increase.

Id love to use this card more but I shy away from it because of the insane APR just incase if i have to carry a balance.

Will they ever lower the interest upon request or do they review or is it forever stuck there?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Re: Lowering APR on a retail store card.

I think I would call them and ask. I agree that they chrage outragious amounts of interest.

You might get someone that can help you out, but I kind of doubt you will have luck.

If you call, let us know the results.

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 2 of 12
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Hi, samint!

I doubt they'll lower the interest rate.  Their plan is to give you that increase, then have you use that increased CL to carry an interest bearing balance.

Turn the tables on them.  Use the card as you wish, but PIF.  A few months down the road, use that increased credit line and history to obtain another card from another lender at a rate more palatable to you.

They use you...you use them.  Simple!  Smiley Happy

Good luck with everything!!

Message 3 of 12
samint
Established Member

Rockingray, I called them a couple of months back and asked if they do lower the APR. The representative said yes, that i could call when i complete a year and ask them to review the account and ask for a lower apr. I dont know how honest was his statement.

Uborrow-upay, I have been doing that with them. I was surprised to see the increase before i completed a year with them. I will be looking for a new cc soon.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Samint,

Who is your card with?

Message 5 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

The "NEW" Target cards, Sams, Walmart, Nordstrom are the only store cards that I can think of that offer a lower rate.

Message 6 of 12
john398
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

The "NEW" Target cards, Sams, Walmart, Nordstrom are the only store cards that I can think of that offer a lower rate.

Well the OP said he could use this card at any store so maybe its a co-branded mc/visa

Could be a bbrzmc that card has different intreast rates

Message 7 of 12
samint
Established Member

beamMEup, it is with Banana Republic ( GEMB ). It's a Visa that I can use outside their network of stores.

Message 8 of 12
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Nordstrom offers a tiered APR which can be lowered to 'tier 1:  http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/nordstrom-card-disclosure-summary      

I think Walmart used to but it seems the current t&c lists just one rate:  22.9% 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 9 of 12
score_building
Senior Contributor

@samint wrote:

beamMEup, it is with Banana Republic ( GEMB ). It's a Visa that I can use outside their network of stores.

Looks like only one rate is offered:  https://eapply.bananarepublic.com/eapplygen2/load.do?cHash=2114114118&subActionId=1000

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.