Established Member

Lowering APR on a retail store card.

Is this possible? I have one cc from a retailer that I can use anywhere besides their stores. Just recently they gave me a big credit increase.

Id love to use this card more but I shy away from it because of the insane APR just incase if i have to carry a balance.

Will they ever lower the interest upon request or do they review or is it forever stuck there?

Valued Contributor

Re: Lowering APR on a retail store card.

I think I would call them and ask. I agree that they chrage outragious amounts of interest.

You might get someone that can help you out, but I kind of doubt you will have luck.

If you call, let us know the results.

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **

Valued Contributor

Hi, samint!

I doubt they'll lower the interest rate.  Their plan is to give you that increase, then have you use that increased CL to carry an interest bearing balance.

Turn the tables on them.  Use the card as you wish, but PIF.  A few months down the road, use that increased credit line and history to obtain another card from another lender at a rate more palatable to you.

They use you...you use them.  Simple!  :smileyhappy:

Good luck with everything!!

Established Member

Rockingray, I called them a couple of months back and asked if they do lower the APR. The representative said yes, that i could call when i complete a year and ask them to review the account and ask for a lower apr. I dont know how honest was his statement.

Uborrow-upay, I have been doing that with them. I was surprised to see the increase before i completed a year with them. I will be looking for a new cc soon.

Moderator Emeritus

Samint,

Who is your card with?

Just puttin' syrup on something, don't make it pancakes.
Epic Contributor

The "NEW" Target cards, Sams, Walmart, Nordstrom are the only store cards that I can think of that offer a lower rate.

Fico Scores: EQ- 662., TU 684 Barclay, EX 700 (3/21/15)

You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
72 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]

Creditaddict wrote:

The "NEW" Target cards, Sams, Walmart, Nordstrom are the only store cards that I can think of that offer a lower rate.

Well the OP said he could use this card at any store so maybe its a co-branded mc/visa

Could be a bbrzmc that card has different intreast rates

Established Member

[ Edited ]

beamMEup, it is with Banana Republic ( GEMB ). It's a Visa that I can use outside their network of stores.

Senior Contributor

Creditaddict wrote:

Nordstrom offers a tiered APR which can be lowered to 'tier 1:  http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/nordstrom-card-disclosure-summary      

I think Walmart used to but it seems the current t&c lists just one rate:  22.9% 

FICOS:
06/13 EX 765 (PSECU) EQ 771 (DCU) TU 779 (Barclays)
Senior Contributor

samint wrote:

beamMEup, it is with Banana Republic ( GEMB ). It's a Visa that I can use outside their network of stores.

Looks like only one rate is offered:  https://eapply.bananarepublic.com/eapplygen2/load.do?cHash=2114114118&subActionId=1000

FICOS:
06/13 EX 765 (PSECU) EQ 771 (DCU) TU 779 (Barclays)
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.