jgrode

Lowering Target card apr?

I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone out there with a target card was able to have them lower their apr. That's our highest, around 22%. We're almost at the credit limit but always paying more than the monthly amount.
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Re: Lowering Target card apr?

jgrode wrote:
I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone out there with a target card was able to have them lower their apr. That's our highest, around 22%. We're almost at the credit limit but always paying more than the monthly amount.

Hi, jgrode, welcome to the forums!

What's your current balance and credit limit? And how hard would it be to just pay the thing off?

Target is not going to lower its APR. :smileysad: Nor will most other CC's these days, if you have a balance. Once you're identified as a source of cash income, they have no interest in letting you off the hook.

Your best bet is to get your CC balances down as low as you can; paid off if there is any way possible. The banks are hurting for cash, and once they find a cardholder who owes, they're going to try to get as much money out of you as they possibly can.

Unfortunately, those who owe money are the new cash cows for lenders. If you can avoid being milked, do so.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

if you have just the target store card, it is not eligible for apr reductions since it's a store card. now if you had the target visa, they have tiers for lower APR but target is really tough about coming down on those tiers, they say they are set when the account is approved.
Fico Scores: EQ- 626 Overstck., TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 Chase (11-05-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
66 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor
mjbfan79

If its the store card they will not lower the APR.

Starting Score 3-31-08: EQ 582 TU 577 EX 625
Current Score 3-19-10: EQ 703 TU 712 EX No Clue
Goal Score: 800 By January Of 2012

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
Kay_Cee

I've got a Target Visa which is a year old.  I've always paid the balance in full every month, have never been close to the max and always pay well before the due date.  I got a notice last month saying the were increasing the APR to 22.99% at minimum "Like many credit card issuers in this challenging economic environment...."
Established Contributor
VEEnVEGAS

My Target Visa is just a year and a couple of months old. I have a $5000 limit and the highest balance was $132, always PIF. Until last month my APR had gone from 22% on opening down to 17%. Last month I received the same letter as many other users here that the rate was being raised to 22%. I haven't tried asking that it be decreased, I just wouldn't even consider ever carrying a balance on it.

Actually the more I think about it the more I think it might not be a bad idea to cancel the card.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}